CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New Mirrors...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Mirrors...

I dont think I should be paying as much as a new rider aged 18 who wants to make an impression. I'm 40 and would like to enjoy biking without creating incidents and not pay the same rate as an 18 year old. Its just wrong! If you dont mind me asking what do you pay aper year for bike insurance? Currenly in NS I am paying 318.00 per year for just PL/PD

Old 02-18-2008, 12:37 AM

I'm pretty sure you have to buy the complete mirror, i tried to buy the rubbers for my 88 model, and the only option i had was the complete mirror, this was going through Honda genuine parts.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:35 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why don't you try putting the rubbers in hot water, and refitting while they're still warm.....worked for me...

Old 02-18-2008, 06:11 AM

I never thought of the hot water idea. I suppose I could try that first. I guess they just shrink over time from being in the sun. Should I place them in hot water and try to "stretch" them for a bit?

Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 AM

Just dump them in really hot water for 5 minutes - you'll be surprised how flexible they become, and when you've refitted them, keep them supple with a little dubbin or leather creme.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:10 AM

I will give that a try tonight. I got my new adapter rings today, I'll let you know how they work out too.

BTW, here is a interesting link Dragon64 about the registration in Quebec. I like some of his points that he makes. I hope that the changes don't trickle down to us here in NS!!

http://www.cmgonline.com/articles/CM...425/index.html

Old 02-18-2008, 12:02 PM

Use a SMALL blob of pres-stik, or something to hold them on the bulbs while you're getting them to locate, or it's like trying to poke a rolling doughnut with a hot dog.......he he
Took me 2 hours to do the job.....let's see how you fare.
Registrations in Quebec -(Bon Soir, Dragon 64 et Audiodan) Comme ca va ? (My french is really crap, hope I wasn't swearing) happenings in Canada aren't really a problem for us in DA ( Darkest Africa) We have enough problems of our own, like a 40% effective AIDS rate, just for starters, apart from corruption, rape, murder etc. We have more murders in the City of Durban over a weekend than you have in a whole year in Canada....!@!*&^%[:@][:@] My ex was nearly hijacked in her driveway a week ago by two guys who were dropped off from another car, clearly pre-planned, and then proceeded to shoot at the householder who was helping the ex.......5 rounds from a 9mm.....good thing nobody taught the ****** to shoot......9 rounds fired by the householder, two wounded thugs who'll probably sue him for attempted murder.....[:@][:@]
BTW When you fit the plastics back on the mirrors, do it with gloves on when they're HOT - you'll get better results.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:16 PM

Yikes! Are you serious about the thugs? Holy crap Batman! Any bullet holes in the CBR yet? hehe

Your Ex you say? Sure it wasn't "planned"...hehe

Thanks for the headsup using the gloves. Knowing my track history, I would have scalded my hands a few times before trying the glove technique.

So I assume you would do one side at a time or the rubber would cool off too quickly?? So when you are done they will fit better or should I glue them with silicone afterwards?

BTW, Good analogy with the doughnut and hotdog!!

Old 02-18-2008, 02:01 PM

Deadly serious, sad to say.........no holes in the CBR fortunately....I live in a smaller town outside Durban, about 10 miles west of the City. Still a good deal of crime, though. Going out in the evenings (walking) is a no-no, no matter where you live.
Also helps to have a 12 gauge pump riot gun, a 22 semi-auto rifle with scope and silencer, a 38 special double barrel derringer, a 38 special snubnose, two 22 pistols, a 25 auto and a 380 automatic.....and a couple of 800,000 volt stun guns.......
It's called "walk softly but carry a BIG stick" !!!! he he..... I'll bet I've got a bigger arsenal than Hardcorp ( hi Gunny)
No, wasn't planned, although 12 years ago I might have considered it......he he
Plastic gets helluva hot, but cools rapidly, so work as quickly as possible.One side at a time..shouldn't need silicone, but I guess it wouldn't hurt.
As for the analogy of the doughnut and hotdog, glad you enjoyed it.....I LOVE doughnuts....
I'll bet there's not much more than a barroom brawl or a bit of petty theft in Halifax, and you sleep with your doors unlocked...? All our windows are burglar-proofed, there are panic buttons on the infra red internal alarm linked to the security company and the Police, slamlock gates, electric garage doors and gates, and razor wire in some suburbs....I kid you not......

Old 02-18-2008, 02:22 PM

Wow! I guess I don't mind paying $667 a year for registration then! I will also try your trick with the mirrors seeing I have the same problem. Thanks Shadow.

Quick Reply: New Mirrors...