CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

new member-new bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member-new bike

Hello to you all,
today i picked up my first cbr1000f,a 1993 model in black/grey to complement my moto guzzi v11 scura.The cbr is for long distance work,touring europe ect.
First impressions are very good,fantastic build quality,very good handling for the size and weight and it goes very well although i could do with a new set of tyres(any recommendations?) and the rear shock is very bouncy,will try turning the rebound adjuster up and see if that helps.
Intend to give the bike a complete service and going over this week but was wondering if you guys had any tips to get the best from the old girl.i'm off to the Pyranees with a group of mates on sun 30th May and looking forward to it on the cbr in comfort,
kind regards GN

Old 05-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default welcome

Originally Posted by green ninja
Hello to you all,
today i picked up my first cbr1000f,a 1993 model in black/grey to complement my moto guzzi v11 scura.The cbr is for long distance work,touring europe ect.
First impressions are very good,fantastic build quality,very good handling for the size and weight and it goes very well although i could do with a new set of tyres(any recommendations?) and the rear shock is very bouncy,will try turning the rebound adjuster up and see if that helps.
Intend to give the bike a complete service and going over this week but was wondering if you guys had any tips to get the best from the old girl.i'm off to the Pyranees with a group of mates on sun 30th May and looking forward to it on the cbr in comfort,
kind regards GN

Welcome and congrat's on the 1000F man. Yep crank that adjuster to stiffen it up .......ran in to a similar issue myself last week-end and thanks
to some good Guys I was hanging with ....... all better now.

Tires : Michelins : PR2's , Power Pures (my pick) , BT 021's , Pirelli Angels
Avon Azaro's ........ you name it pretty much everyone has their own
favourite !

Old 05-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the asylum !
Can't really help with tyres - choices are like women, everyone has their own views. I like PR2 or BT021's myself, with PR2's slightly ahead on wear.
Have a read of all the stuff on the forum - plenty of help.
Grab a manual at www.carlsalter.com or www.blackbears.ru.
Enjoy what we have to offer, and put up some pics

Old 05-22-2010, 08:27 PM

Welcome to the forum

For the tire i recommend Avon storm st2, they fit the bike caractherirstic way better than the bridgestones, the bike is more resonsive more agile and they stick like gue once warm.

I got an 120\70\17 up front and a 180\55\17 in the rear , love them!

Old 05-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aboard, GN.
Ya picked a great bike with the 1000F, and you shouldn't have any trouble long hauling it.
Tips on going over it... well...
I'd check the fork seals for leaks, and shine a light in the tank and make sure the inside isn't corroded up.
Setting the rebound will help straighten out the bounce. Other than that... all the usual stuff like chain, sprockets, brakes, lights, fluids, etc.
For tires, I just got the Michelin Pilot Road 2's about 2,200 miles ago, and I really like them a lot. Great grip, quiet, real predictable feel, and no visible wear yet. But like everyone else said.. kind-of a personal preference, I guess.

Anyway, enjoy the new ride.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:04 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard mate

Let us know where you are by filling in your personal details in your profile .

Always helps with parts tips and advice . We're an international jet-setting bunch on here

Old 05-24-2010, 12:42 AM

Hi welcome to the forum, lots of useful information and help on here...

Tyres i use conti road attacks.. But there are loads to choose from.....

Old 05-24-2010, 12:15 PM

You got yourself a well built bike! I have a 93 as well.

i run Michelin Pilots because I just need mileage and dont ride very aggressive.

When I bought mine i changed the oil, flushed the radiator, changed the brake fluid, checked and lubed the chain, air filter. Later I synched the carbs.

If you change your brake fluid make sure you read about bleeding the linked brake system. It doesnt bleed quite like normal brakes.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Thanks to you all for the welcome,update on the bouncy shock.....it's shagged!
Turns out the shock was an after market one called a Betor and the damping adjuster was on max!Ordered a Hagon today as they are the only one's to get one to me this week as i am off to the Pyranees on sunday.
Got a good deal on some Pirelli Diablo strada's so they are going on on wednesday.My Guzzi has strada's on and they suit a heavier bike and grip well even from cold so will give them a try on the cbr.
Cleaned and serviced it on sunday and will post some pic's when she is back together before i go away,
kind regards,Mat

Old 05-28-2010, 12:46 PM

welcome green Ninja..this is the best forum...in the world.CBR 1000F one of the best bikes EVER...

Quick Reply: new member-new bike