CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New Jewl of a '90 CBR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jewl of a '90 CBR1000F

Been waiting almost 20yrs for the time to be right to buy another scoot.

Was shopping for GS1100E's, FJ's, or 1100F's when I stumbled across this thing.

About 16K and very, very clean.

Decided on more of a "Muscle Cruser" than the above models after moving down to Fla and wanting to do some 2 up riding.

Bike is great or will be when I'm done with it.

Thinkin kinda Concoursish.

To Do List:

Need a taller windshield (can't find them for this antique)

Bar risers (think I finally found some that add 1")

And to figure out the noise (and repair) at cold start up. (read somehwere cam chain tensinor??)

Live an hour from Moroso Raceway Park and want to go to the strip and track day to re-teach myself to ride again

Great site, and as you can see I just signed on.

Now I'll post this and go read all the anwers to my questions in other threads

Thanks Guys

Gary

[IMG]local://upfiles/20531/EECE53F4DAAD40CEA3D3D5DA5C8E2A4D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20531/F172B7F817B64E6DA6F097F66AF43FFF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20531/34BE9BBD3910401C967C6CBCDBB7939C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20531/867C2963C19D4670AC6B62549AD6DD2A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Default RE: New Jewl of a '90 CBR1000F

Congratulations. I went from a CB900F to the CBR1000F and believe me, you made the right decision. One thing that I noticed from your pictures, and it may just be an illusion, is that the rearend looks like it is sagging a bit, especially in the first pic. You may want to take some sag measurements to be sure everything's set up right.

Also, I don't know if you were already aware of this, but your bike already has an aftermarket (taller) windscreen on it. The do make ones that are taller yet, however.

Enjoy your new toy and be safe.

PS
You picked the best color combo.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 PM

Thanks, and yeah the color was one of the clinchers on this bike. Yours look great too.

On the windshields I was wondering about mine too after seeing some of the pictures on this site.
Do you know who makes the taller ones?
May try and make my own.

I will measure my sag too when I get more time.

I have been very short on time since buying it and am just now sneaking up on it.
Plus it's just now starting to cool off enough to be able to ride w/o sweating ike a ***** in church anyhow.

I did put sport pads on the front and what a difference that made!

Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Hey SlickWilly, congratulations on a great looking ride. I too am in S. FL, although a little further S than you. I don't think I've seen many 1KF's around here, so it's nice to know they're around. Enjoy it...

Old 09-11-2007, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: idodirt

Hey SlickWilly, congratulations on a great looking ride. I too am in S. FL, although a little further S than you. I don't think I've seen many 1KF's around here, so it's nice to know they're around. Enjoy it...
Thanx Dirt!

We just moved down here from Ohio a little over a yr ago and are looking forward to exploring this great state by bike.

Spent most of our time so far playing with boats but looking forward to playing with the scoot once it cools off a bit more.

I have a pick up too that we plan to haul the bike down to the Keys in then un-load and play

Last ride was out around the East side of Lake Okeechobee and it was a blast.

We are moving from port Saint Lucie to Sebastian next week and it is gorgeous up there along the Inter Costal and out on the islands and way easier and safer to get to the country inland than from where we're at now..

Freagin drivers around my area suck!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

ORIGINAL: SlickWilly

I have a pick up too that we plan to haul the bike down to the Keys in then un-load and play
Oh no.... please don't tell me you're going to trailer a perfectly good sport touring bike down to the Keys. You need to ride it down there man ! When you ride it there (or anywhere for that matter), it's a total escape from your normal every day existance. If' it's not broke, don't trailer it :-)

As for the ride'sto the lake, check it out all the way around, it's really a nice day drive. Plenty of places to stop and get a drink and take a brake. If it'sa 2 upissue, do what I did, get her her own. It's what I did. She talked me into getting my bike in the first place. Then a few months on back, she was wanting to give it a go. It's been great ever since.

Welcome to the forum and to FL.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM

First off, nice looking bike, great specimen. You should get many many miles of enjoyment out of it. As for the noise warming up. Mine did that for a bit, when warming up from cold, rattle like a baby toy, until warm. I found, sort of by accident, after I synchronized the carburetors, the noise completely went away. And the bike ran completely different, better. Always check the tune of the bike before anything. If your bike is perfectly tuned, then at least you know that any problem you have is not that. Apparently, when the bike is out of sync, the chain can rattle, as well as the clutch plates.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 AM

Thanx Guys!

Dirt, as far as "hauling" to the Keys...I was expecting that A friend of mine says "Harleys ride in trailers, Hondas tow them"

Maybe when I get it a bit more comfortable for the Mrs but as is, no way I want to do 2 1/2 in **** traffic just to get down there! (she'd take a bus home !)

It took some work just to get her on the thing at all. She had ridden before with some idiot on his Harley that should have had a Vespa.
She told me if I scared her once, she's done!
She's getting better but her seating position just lays her on my back which puts both our weight on my wrists.

502, interesting. When I bought it it had a the Kerker pipe w/no baffle and had a nasty lean area @ about 3500.
As expected when I reinstalled the baffle the lean spot went away.

Agreed on being in tune too. I haven't hardly beat on the thing at all and don't want to until I get more time to go through it.

Dying to take it to the track but I know I've blown up a bunch of V-6 outboards @ 7500+ and they make a mess, can't imagine this thing at 10 or 11K

Take that back. I popped my old RZ several times @ that RPM and it did funny things to the rods.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:50 AM

congrats with the best bike yo will ride fora Long time!!!

I love mine to bits!!! I would not trade it for a new super bike even if I could!!!

Happy riding man!!! Just remember one thing!!!! Ride it like you stole it!!!!

Best of luck with the woman on the back it will get better as you go!! It took me 3 months to get my wife on the back!!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Two comments on you're to do list. First, as to the noise at cold start, the consensus around here is that this is typical for these bikes and is not a problem as long as thenoise goes away when the bike warms up. As to the bar risers that you found, if you're talking gen mar risers be advised that the gen mars consist merely of spacers and top caps and that the same effect can be achieved by merely raising the bars up on the fork tubes. I swapped out my stock bars for a set of telefix adjustable clip ons and which allow me to sit upright and completely take the weight off my wrists.

Quick Reply: New Jewl of a '90 CBR1000F