CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New Hurricane - Ric

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hurricane - Ric

New member 'Ric' from Chicago here. Picked up this '90 Hurricane w / < 6K miles on it — last weekend:

Attached Thumbnails New Hurricane - Ric-90hurricane.jpg  
Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the asylum !
Sprock (he's sure to be here in a while) and I both have the same color scheme.
Great bike and such low mileage !!!!! Bargain of note !!
Make sure all the California emission control cr-p goes off the engine asap - if it hasn't already been done. There are rubber inserts in the carb inlet pipes which chop around 20 HP off your performance, and all the spaghetti piping on top of the tappet cover has to go too - there's a "how to" in the Hurricane main page.
Enjoy your time here with us, make sure you have a sense of humour when you come through the door - the Hurricane boys have a wicked sense of humour.
If you need a manual, check the main page for a free download, too.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:10 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool! Another silver machine

Welcome.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Ric, what was Plan A ???

Old 08-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
Hey Ric, what was Plan A ???
Probably marriage. LOL...

Welcome to the site, Ric.
Before you get too worked up about the restriction/emissions stuff....have a look at your airbox. There will be a sticker on it that tells you if it has the PAIR system and CA emission control. You can also tell by the ton of hoses/valves/etc that will look like spaghetti on top of your valve cover.
As for restriction.... I'm about 99.9% sure that you don't have a restricted model. Pete's was apparently, but I've never seen or heard of a restricted model in the USA.
(And even though Sprock's '90 appears to be restricted, it has nothing to do with the bike. )

Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM

nice and clean. very nice. be safe and have fun with her i know i am with mine

Old 08-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

" kilgoretrout: I've never seen or heard of a restricted model in the USA.''

From 90 onward to 96 in the Great State of California had a restricted model Honda CBR1000F, with limited emissions output and 100 HP output, down almost 35 HP from the 49 state model. This was imposed on many bikes over 750cc and over time includes all motorcycles sold in the State and still does. So yes we have restricted models sold in the States, that is unless you don't count California as a State.

Though now with EFI the gap is not as bad as it was in the early 90s, if any at all.
Just more hoses and parts to go wrong to pass a smog test.

Being on/in the Right side of the States you probably won't see one as they stay pretty West, as who wants a restricted bike if it is not required by law?

And BTW welcome plan b. My? what is plan c, and what really was plan a?

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 08-03-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Administrator - Retired

From 90 onward to 96 in the Great State of California had a restricted model Honda CBR1000F, with limited emissions output and 100 HP output, down almost 35 HP from the 49 state model. This was imposed on many bikes over 750cc and over time includes all motorcycles sold in the State and still does. So yes we have restricted models sold in the States, that is unless you don't count California as a State.
I've never seen a HP restricted 1000F in the states. If you could show me one, that would be awesome.

Being on/in the Right side of the States you probably won't see one as they stay pretty West, as who wants a restricted bike if it is not required by law?
I have a cali model. It's a '95 and I bought it in Mass. It was not HP restricted, it just has (or should I say "had") all the PAIR/emissions crap that the cali bikes had.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

@kilgoretrout

Well I have seen 1 91 and 2 90s that all had restrictors in the carb intake rubbers and all 3 were Cali models. And maybe for the very same reason yours made not have had them in, it was the first thing removed after one of the m/c mags showed how to remove them. As I conclude that since you purchased a Cali model in Mass the bike was not new. Also I was living in Germany at the time, and maybe this was unique to the models being sent there as all 3 were new bikes purchased in California prior to being shipped overseas to Germany.
Unfortunately I did not keep up with those guys after I moved on from there. So I can not ask any further ? about the order.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 08-03-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Administrator - Retired

Also I was living in Germany at the time, and maybe this was unique to the models being sent there as all 3 were new bikes purchased in California prior to being shipped overseas to Germany.
That's exactly what it was. You were in Germany. Germany gets restricted bikes.
I think maybe Switzerland/Finland and a couple other countries (france?) get restricted bikes as well, but I've never seen or heard of them stateside. I've seen a few restricted bikes come through this forum even, but never a USA bike. A finnish guy's bike had aluminum restrictor plates.

Until I see one here in the US without "I lived in germany at the time", etc.... I don't want to tell people that their bike could be restricted and have them pull their carbs for something that isn't going to be there.

Quick Reply: New Hurricane - Ric