CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

new here and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here and need advice

hello everyone. i got a buddy who wants to sell me his 1996 cbr1000f. it has about 31000 miles and it runs good expect for a small problem. i guessing its a vacum leak of some sorts, when the bike is idleing you can hear a psssss! and then the rpm jump up then they fall back down and psssss back up they go. also the bike is missing its head light, left middle fairing, lower fairing piece and the hole front upper fairing that holds the head light. the bike sounds good when running, no knocking or ticking, no smoke, and shifts through all gears fine and is fast as hell. im thinking if just doing a street fighter thing cause it seems hard to find fairing and the parts are very expensive. it has a vince and hines full exhaust, new chain, new brakes. so my question is, is the bike worth it. He is asking 500 bucks for it with a clean title. and has or does anyone know what the idle problem could be. im going out again on thursday to take a look at it again and im bringing my dad and might be coming home with her. what do you guys think. thanks in advance.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The price is right, the hissing noise is NOT.
Sounds like a cylinderhead gasket, or a leak at the exhaust manifold, both of which are a lot of work.And could cost you more than the bike !
It could just be a carb leak, but even that will take a lot of work to sort out.

Hard to hear it from this far away

Add to that, no fairings , I'd say the bike should stay with your friend.

There are better ones around.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First up, welcome to the forum.

The price is good but, like Pete said, you need to know what you're in for. If you've got access to a compression tester (or know a friendly mechanic) do a test. Check for evidence of oil in the coolant and water in the oil (milky looking). These things and the compression test should tell you if the head gasket is good.

I'd have a sniff around for the parts you need, even if you are doing the street fighter thing, and see how much you're up for to get it on the road and sorted.

There are few of these around and you might find a good one for less than the total that this one would cost.

And yes...they are fast as hell!!.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:05 AM

Welcome to the forum,
I would lift the tank while it's running and see or should I say hear where the psssss is coming from. Sounds like it could be a vacuum line or something like that to me.
Price is good though. I paid $850 NZ for mine, wasn't going, no side fairings, a broken front fairing, needed new discs rotors and had to re-register it for the road!!!!

It was a lot of work to get it on the road but I have no regrets!!!
Great bikes.
Good luck

Old 06-22-2011, 03:36 AM
Welcome Crew

There seems to be loads of these bikes 4 sale in the US, so they are fairly cheap there compared to Aus & NZ, If u r in the US I would shop around a bit before buying this one with so many faults...I purchased a 'cheap one' myself last x-mas and have just spent close to $3000 getting the top end rebuilt.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
A 1996 cbr1000f. it has about 31000 miles for only 500 bucks?? !!!!!!!!!
Did the rest of you guys see the "1996" ?????

**** , I don't care if it has a leak anywhere!!! it is a dam bargain !!!!

I
I have to agree with you, I'd be grabbing it!!! Compaired to mine, it's a giveaway!!!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
That's dead right Robbie .... what do we get for 500 bucks here ?... ...
2 tires MAYBE and WITH no 1996 CBR !!!!!
You pay 3k plus for a 87F here and you probably couldn't even pick up a motor for that!!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:51 AM
Welcome Crew

Also, no h/light and hardly any fairing, there are heaps of bargains in the US so I would check around a bit first if based there before buying this, especially if it is the first supra has looked at. But yeah, we don't get much for $500 bucks down under do we. That wouldn't even cover my rego let alone insurance!

Quick Reply: new here and need advice