CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

new guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy

Hey, new guy here, just wanted to stop in and say hey. Just got my first cbr, its an 88 1000. Being my first sport bike, im sure im gonna have alot of questions. Since its extraction from the barn, ive gotten it kinda clean and have been taking an inventory. It definitly need some help after a few years of neglect but nothing some hard work wont cure. As the list of whats missing or broken keeps growing, its becoming clear this thing is gonna end up a streetfighter so im sure i'll be looking for alot of swap info. First and foremost is gonna be the front end. Both tubes need completely re built and the left side has on of the caliper boss' broken off. Add this to the fact the both calipers are missing and i just need to buy a front end. So i guess my question is anyone know of a later inverted setup that will fit? As long as i have to do the work it might as well be for newer technology.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: new guy

Welcome to the Forum , Diablo Negro! Parts for the 88 are easy to find and quite cheap.......I have a pair of front fork stansions, a clutch slave unit, an alternator cover, and some other goodies, but the postage would be a killer, depending where you are.....Keep a lookout on e-Bay, stuff is available right now, including a full set of fairings in blue/white. Give the guys a list, tell us where you are, often you'll get special discounts amongst the members....(which often will mean you only pay postage) Enjoy your stay, and send us pictures please - we love to see "new oldies" take shape., and get back on the road.....

Old 02-05-2008, 12:15 PM

Thanks, i like this place already. I put a couple of pics in the members photo area, gotta get a place to host more as i take them. i actually got a fairly complete set of plastics with the bike but theyre pretty ruff and im planning on keeping it kinda naked and agressive. With it needing at least one complete tube and both calpiers, not to mention rebuilding them, im gonna try to find an inverted set up thats a bit newer and more adjustable off e bay or somewhere. I've heard from a friend that some of the later cbr front ends are an easy swap but we diddnt get real specific on which ones. Ive been riding cruisers and vintage brit stuff for years but this is my first adventure in the sportbike world so my knowledge is somewhat limited on specific's. I see alot of mostly complete front ends on e bay from various bikes, calipers and all,so im wondering what i can find that'll fit with limited specialty machining. My last triumph we made a new set of press in bearing cups to adapt an early h-d springer on it, could something like that aply in this case?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Noe

Awarm welcome to this lovely forum from the cold Scandinavia

Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WHAAAAAT ??? A SPRINGER FRONT END ?? On a Hurricane ? Nooooooo, not unless you've got a death wish, and good life insurance. These things are lethal enough, without making it more interesting.....May have been OK on an old Triumph Tiger...... I don't know if any upside-down forks will fit, and the later CBR1KF's had different stanchion sizes to the earlier models.Decide what you need, and ask, I'm sure somebody in your neighbourhood is on the Forum - we're like Chicken Man, we're everywhere !! If you wanted to change the whole front end, brakes, calipers, everything from a 95 bike for example, you'd have to use the whole 95 front end, because even the disc calipers, disc diameters etc are different to yours. Tell the guys what you want to do, there are some real experts here, and I'm sure they'll be happy to give advice and guidance.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:02 PM

More welcomes from Scandinavia !
I think you've finally found the right bike...

Old 02-05-2008, 04:10 PM

oh no worries no springer on this baby, definitly something inverted. Looking at a complete gsxr unit, wheel and everything pretty cheap.