CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New CCT - what to do if you fill it with oil too early

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 AM
hmm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New CCT - what to do if you fill it with oil too early

My CCT was so bad a taxi driver asked me what was wrong with the bike.

So I ordered a new CCT from Germany and have just put it in. But I was too eager and filled it with oil before I re-fitted the inlet cam and sprocket.

So the CCT didn't compress much when I pushed it down with a screwdriver and I couldn't get the camchain over the second sprocket (or maybe I'm just too weak).

I thought about removing the CCT to drain it, then I had an idea. I removed the cam covers, moved the cam toward the front of the engine and hooked the chain over its sprocket.

I then pulled the cam forcefully back into place on its journals and replaced the cam covers.

So far it seems to be OK...

Old 06-12-2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by hmm
My CCT was so bad a taxi driver asked me what was wrong with the bike.

So I ordered a new CCT from Germany and have just put it in. But I was too eager and filled it with oil before I re-fitted the inlet cam and sprocket.

So the CCT didn't compress much when I pushed it down with a screwdriver and I couldn't get the camchain over the second sprocket (or maybe I'm just too weak).

I thought about removing the CCT to drain it, then I had an idea. I removed the cam covers, moved the cam toward the front of the engine and hooked the chain over its sprocket.

I then pulled the cam forcefully back into place on its journals and replaced the cam covers.

So far it seems to be OK...
I did the same thing but ran into issues when I went to set the valves. I had trouble spinning the motor. I would take it out and drain it to avoid the headache but hey if its in its in.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:19 AM
hmm

Originally Posted by pmcg
I did the same thing but ran into issues when I went to set the valves. I had trouble spinning the motor. I would take it out and drain it to avoid the headache but hey if its in its in.
Valves?

Set?

Old 06-13-2015, 06:36 AM

When you go to set or adjust your valves to make sure they are within spec you need to spin the motor in order to check the clearances betwee the cam and the valves. When I set my cct it was too tight and I was unable to rotate the motor.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:34 PM
hmm

pmcg,
Thanks for the tip but what I meant by my 'question marks' was that I've not checked the valves for many many years.
The crankshaft turned counter-clockwise when I set the timing, the engine now sounds pretty smooth and the bike's performance is scary enough for my old bones as I ride in and out of Central London.
My attitude may not be perfectionist but I'm happy!