CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New 94 1000F owner, questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 94 1000F owner, questions

Hi all...I swear to you I spent lots of time in search, but I dind't find the answers. If you guys have links to the answers here I'd appreciate it...or just post up. Thanks!

1. What rate is the OEM rear shock spring, and fork springs?
2. has anyone transplanted a different front end on the bike to a) get more modern brakes that aren't linked and b) to get external adjustability? I haven't measured yet, but I was thinking that an FZ1 front end might be long enough, has awesome brakes, and is externally adjustable. Any input here is appreciated.
3. Can I remove the OEM windscreen just by removing the externally accesible screws, or will I lose whatever is on the back of them into the fairing? (I admit I didn't search on this one...just thought of it).
4. Who is still making aftermarket screens for the bike? I'd love a tinted one...the OEM one I have is pretty beat up.

Thanks!

Dave Arkle
Tenn2Cycles
WERA Expert #13

Old 12-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: New 94 1000F owner, questions

Hi Dave
Can't answer all the questions, but this is what I know
1No idea-Ask Dean0 or R1000 - send them PM's they are knowledgeable on spring rates. There are other guys too - not my area.
2No, not me. You can delink the brakes and fit different pads to give sharper brakes, but they are heavy bikes..............
3Can be done - DON'T push hard on the screw heads, there are rubber inserts on the inside which will fall inside the screen/bodywork. Do it gently, with lateral movement rather than downward pressure on the screws.
4 MRA and Puig still make screens, amongst others, to my knowledge.Maybe also Powerbronze, and there's a thing called a Varioscreen which is good by all accounts.
Hope this helps.Lost all my links in a recent computer crash, but there is another co that makes different length screens, too........someone will remember.
Grab a manual from my siggy while you're at it.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys.

re: forks... I'm really more interested in the externally adjustable part than I am the de-linking part, but both are positives IMO. I'm actually not opposed to the idea of the linked brakes, but it seems like alot of maint. and extra hardware for not much gain. Plus, the selection of brake pads is not as widely varied as it is with more conventional brakes.

re: springs...thanks for that, I'll send the PMs.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:34 PM
November 2009 ROTM

Welcome DDT!
Question # 4..Your right about watching whats behind the screen after removing the screws.careful does it or you will loose the threaded fastner into the dark bowels of the headlight area!!
I recently fitted a Black tinted to my bike & lost one of the fastners doing this..
CHECK before hand its the Correct Screen!!I have a brand new one not in use because it isn't a 100% fit.
Cheers Rob

Old 12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave, I don't have the linked brake system (wish I did sometimes), but there are plenty of guys who do, and I think from reading what they've had to say about delinking the brakes that you'd need to buy new shorter hoses and it's quite a job. I've developed the habit of using front and rear together, and it stops much better than with just fronts, as they're such heavy bikes.If I could fit the 3 piston calipers to my bike (and I could find some) I surely would.....
I'd leave them alone, but that's just my 2c. The guys don't complain about maintenance much, but if you get air in the system they can be a real pain.[X(][X(]
I think there are threads about this on the forum from about a month ago - maybe do a search

Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Shadow

Dave, I don't have the linked brake system (wish I did sometimes), but there are plenty of guys who do, and I think from reading what they've had to say about delinking the brakes that you'd need to buy new shorter hoses and it's quite a job. I've developed the habit of using front and rear together, and it stops much better than with just fronts, as they're such heavy bikes.If I could fit the 3 piston calipers to my bike (and I could find some) I surely would.....
I'd leave them alone, but that's just my 2c. The guys don't complain about maintenance much, but if you get air in the system they can be a real pain.[X(][X(]
I think there are threads about this on the forum from about a month ago - maybe do a search

Ya, as I mentioned, I'm not all that concerned about the brakes really, but I'm happy to can that system. What I'm really after is a better front end w/ external adjustability. Besides, changing out brake lines isn't a big job...

I already have a line on an FZ1 front end for pretty cheap, and I'm gonna check out the possibilities re: having the triples bored out on the CBR to accept the 43mm forks...dunno if there's enough meat there for that or not.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:47 PM

I have a 96 which had an oem screen in really bad shape. I found a smoke screen made by zero gravity which fit perfectly. I bought it from indysuperbikes.com for less than $60.00 plus shipping.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: dietDrThunder

Ya, as I mentioned, I'm not all that concerned about the brakes really, but I'm happy to can that system. What I'm really after is a better front end w/ external adjustability. Besides, changing out brake lines isn't a big job...
Before you get to involved, if you change the front legs, you will have to de-link at that point because the rear caliper is very dependant on the secondary master cylinder that is attached to the front left leg.

With LBS, if the peddle or lever is used, the secondary master cylinder activates the rear caliper.

These bikes have a solid front end. If you want to adjust the front end, maybe try different fork oils or mix them (50% 15w mixed with 50% 10w ie). There are some threads about forkoil levels. I increased my level some to get a stiffer ride.

I also have a '94 but I de-liknked because I could not trail brake with LBS. I love the solid fron end of these bikes and would not change it. The front end can suck up most bumps at any speed and still be soft enough for my 600 mile day trips.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: TimBucTwo

Before you get to involved, if you change the front legs, you will have to de-link at that point because the rear caliper is very dependant on the secondary master cylinder that is attached to the front left leg.

With LBS, if the peddle or lever is used, the secondary master cylinder activates the rear caliper.

These bikes have a solid front end. If you want to adjust the front end, maybe try different fork oils or mix them (50% 15w mixed with 50% 10w ie). There are some threads about forkoil levels. I increased my level some to get a stiffer ride.

I also have a '94 but I de-liknked because I could not trail brake with LBS. I love the solid fron end of these bikes and would not change it. The front end can suck up most bumps at any speed and still be soft enough for my 600 mile day trips.
Yep...I would de-link the brakes.

re: fork adjusting...I will be riding the bike in situations ranging from instructing at track days, giving 2-up track rides to commuting, to 2-up touring with a loaded 3-bag Givi setup, so I really want to be able to adjust the suspension. I understand that I can set the forks up any way I want w/ valving and chaning oil level and viscosity, but I'm shooting for the flexibility that external adjustability gives.

I haven't sent any PMs yet cuz I'm just now meeting folks here. but surely somebody here knows what the spring rate is on the OEM shock?

Anyone? Bueller?

If nobody knows, I'll just send the shock to Traxxion Dynamics and have them measure it and I'll post up. I'll be replacing it with an Ohlins w. a remote preload adjuster so I can adjust for the aforementioned different riding situations, so once I have all that done I'll post up if anyone is interested in a review.

Quick Reply: New 94 1000F owner, questions