CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Neutral lights when clutch lever pulled in any gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral lights when clutch lever pulled in any gear

I recently replaced rectifier regulator aftermeasuringresistance valuesat the alternator andmaking thosecontinuity checks. Before then bike has been sitting for about 2 months. Thereafterthe nuetral light comes on after pulling in the clutch whilein any gear.Did I failto make tight connections, could it be due to a drop in fluid volume? Any ideas before I pull out the new RR and put the old one back in?

Old 05-05-2007, 03:08 AM
Default RE: Neutral lights when clutch lever pulled in any gear

Sounds more like a switch problem thar a r/r problem. perhaps there is a bared wire shorting somewhere? I would be testing the neutral switch and wiring first.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:17 AM

If you look into the electrical drawing in section 18 in the manual, you can see that the neutral lamp is connected to +12V on one side, together with some other indicator lamps. The other side of the neutral lamp goes to a diode gate, then via one of he diodes to the neutral switch which grounds the circuit in neutral and the lamps goes on. The other diode in the diode gate goes to other functions like the clutch switch. It seems as ifthe right diode in the gate is shortenedit will cause the behavior you describe. Disconnect the diode gate and measure the diodes and check if one is shortened. If the right diode is shortened, you must also find the reason why it has failed. A possible scenario is thatit has been connected to +12 volt on the anode-side by a short circuit or wrong connection that will then burn the diodewhen the gear is put into neutral.

There could also be shortened wires or faulty switchesin the bike, that works as a bypass bridge over the diode, which will be the case if you found the diode to be OK.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:11 PM

Looking closely I realised that the clutch reservoir, by the left handlebar,is empty. Could thisbe the culprit? What is the best way to take out those two stubborn screws at the top?