CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Neutral light comes on when I pull in the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral light comes on when I pull in the clutch

First I would like to say sorry I havent been on lately. I have been swamped with work school and family stuff, but I am glad to be back. I have been doing some work on my bike due to electrical issues. I had to put a new ignition switch on it. That believe it or not is a difficult task. Not so much changing out the switch because its just 2 bolts and a plug, but finding the switch to buy. I have a 93 Hurricane, but I could only find a switch for a 87-90. same set up but it has two more wires. I had been running with a bypassed ignition switch, but my fan wouldnt kick on so I swapped them. Now when I pull in the clutch lever my neutral light comes on. Does anyone have any ideas what could be cauing this? Im at a loss.
Plus, if anyone know where I can get a 93 model ignition switch or fairing parts I would greatly appreciate the info.
Thanks guys

Old 09-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

There's a diode in the circuit. I am not familiar wit the 93 electrical set up but there must be some variance in the wiring loom that is causing this to happen.
As long she goes into gear and stays running you haven't got to worry about anything though.
Good luck in de-cyphering the diagrammes.
I haven't heard this question asked on the forum before so you may have to pioneer the answer for yourself.
Good luck, nice to 'meet' you.
H

Old 09-11-2011, 11:42 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sound like you've encounter a connection error? There is a clutch switch meaning when you are in gear + gripping the clutch, engine stays on. If the clutch lever switch gies bad or sticky? Engine shut down, meaning you cannot start bike even in 1st gear/ kick stand up. When clutch lever switch is bad, you must shift back into neutral before starting bike, this is a issue when you ride in traffics. In addition to the clutch lever switch, there is also the kick stank switch that works hand in hand, meaning if kick stand down, clutch lever working propertly, when put in gear, engine shut off... This is safety feature. One last consideration the neutral switch, located near you shift pedal, meaning when you are in neutral, switch send a signal to your neutral light to indicate your in neutral.

So in your case, when you grip the clutch lever, your clutch lever switch sends a signal to your neutral light, rather than working properly with kickstand - hanging the clutch to keep engine running.

I would switch back to your OEM part...it's a connection issue.

Originally Posted by PhillipHames
First I would like to say sorry I havent been on lately. I have been swamped with work school and family stuff, but I am glad to be back. I have been doing some work on my bike due to electrical issues. I had to put a new ignition switch on it. That believe it or not is a difficult task. Not so much changing out the switch because its just 2 bolts and a plug, but finding the switch to buy. I have a 93 Hurricane, but I could only find a switch for a 87-90. same set up but it has two more wires. I had been running with a bypassed ignition switch, but my fan wouldnt kick on so I swapped them. Now when I pull in the clutch lever my neutral light comes on. Does anyone have any ideas what could be cauing this? Im at a loss.
Plus, if anyone know where I can get a 93 model ignition switch or fairing parts I would greatly appreciate the info.
Thanks guys

Old 09-11-2011, 11:53 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Let me clarify, go back to your OEM - year & model. There is a reason for that 2 extra wire? Good luck & keep us posted

Old 09-12-2011, 08:28 AM

Have you tried Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports for the switch?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 AM

i would like to chime in here and state something about this. My bike is a 95 1kf and it does the same exact thing. When i pull in the clutch the neutral light comes on. I always thought it was just something the bike did. Also could someone post a picture of a oem clutch lever and left clipon with everything in tact so that we both could see what the oem looks like or should look like. When i go out to my bike for lunch i will snap a pick of it.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 PM

My 94 does the same, otherwise it wouldnt start in 1st gear with clutch pulled.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:49 PM

My bike starts up like its supposed to. If its in neutral it will start without pulling in the clutch and with the kickstand down. I can start it in gear with the clutch pulled in. The light just comes on when the clutch lever is pulled all the way in. It isnt causing any issues. Just wanted to see if anyone had found a solution to this. I cant find the OEM switch anywhere. That is why I went with the one I have.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Phil I can't believe that this issue is so common. Mine just started doing it today. I changed the started relay yesterday and thought that had something to do with it, but now I doubt it. My bike does everything it is supposed to except that the light is always on --If you have the clutch lever pulled to the bar---. wont start in gear, dies if stand is put down in gear, etc. It just makes the neutral light useless.
If anyone has resolved this issue, I would sincerely like to know what is going on so I can resolve this.
Planning to take a long trip and this will be nagging at me the whole time, lol
Thanks........................

Old 10-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it should be that way because it if you pull the clutch lever it allows the bike to start while it's in gear and will probably be using the same electrical circuit as if it were in neutral!!!

Edited:

Just checked mine and the light doesn't come on when the lever is pulled in!!

Last edited by robbiebgraham; 10-16-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Neutral light comes on when I pull in the clutch