CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Need a professional opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are days you should work on the bike, and those you shouldn't.
Difficulty is knowing which day it is.............................LoL

I think we've all been there David.
As Henry says, we're all ears and shoulders

Old 11-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, since the offer is out there....Rant Part 2

Last night I was kept away on a family problem that needed solving, got home past 11pm and off to bed. No time for the bike. Tonight I had a plumbing issue and in solving that I wrenched my back and can hardly walk. Time is disappearing very quickly and the charity ride is THIS SUNDAY!! Dammit!! It's like a cure is on me, every year when the Toy Run comes around something goes wrong with whatever bike I have at the time and leaves me stranded. It's heartbreaking man

Some blind cager slammed his Scirroco into the back of my CBX so the swingarm and rim etc. is stuffed and the CBR is not going any further than I'm prepared to push it. No Christmas cheer for the kids unless I just tag along in a car...sucks man

Old 11-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's crap David , no loaners available anywhere eh ?

Old 11-21-2013, 10:57 AM

My boet, this ride is normally several thousand bikes on the road, whatever loaners there were are long gone.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:27 PM

Decided to tough it out and start working. Got the exhaust off, oil out and sump off. Spent some quality time swearing at the bolt I found in the sump. I can start assembling and maybe make the start line on Sunday but I first need to find why the chain was rattling in the first place. It's not the pickup. It's not 100% clean but not so bad as to be causing a problem in my opinion.

Name:  20131121_2058501.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  174.3 KB

What signs should I be looking for on the tensioner, I have two of them since there is a spare motor in a box, how do I tell which one is best to put back?

Name:  20131121_2059001.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  172.4 KB

And the blade looks like the chain rubbed it quite badly, is this normal? EDIT : Of course the chain runs on the other side of the blade and I wasn't paying attention...

Name:  20131121_2059521.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  178.7 KB

Any ideas?

Last edited by David Van Onselen; 11-23-2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Incorect information
Old 11-22-2013, 02:04 PM

I've also noted that the spare tensioner I have has a longer shaft section at the bottom, is this an improved design over what I had in there? Really hope I find some wisdom soon, gotta start assembling in the morning if I'm to get it running by Sunday

Old 11-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by David Van Onselen
I've also noted that the spare tensioner I have has a longer shaft section at the bottom, is this an improved design over what I had in there?
FYI - Here is a photo of the latest CCT. Yes there was an updated version.

Reading the CCT replacement (with photos), before you start work, may well help and also assist in avoiding collateral issues.
CAM CHAIN & TENSIONER REPLACEMENThttp://tinyurl.com/bjaupex

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 11-22-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:10 PM

Thanks, but I've already collateralled the **** out of it
The spare motor's tensioner looks just like the one in your pic, from what I can tell that motor also had much less mileage on it so I will pop in that tensioner and hope for the best. I also note the oil pickup on the spare motor is rectangular where the current motor's is round. Is it a straight swop over or does the sump need to change as well? I'm trying to get all the latest stuff into the current motor to give it the best chance possible to stop rattling but don't want to swop something if its going to make things worse

Old 11-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by David Van Onselen
Thanks, but I've already collateralled the **** out of it
The spare motor's tensioner looks just like the one in your pic, from what I can tell that motor also had much less mileage on it so I will pop in that tensioner and hope for the best. I also note the oil pickup on the spare motor is rectangular where the current motor's is round. Is it a straight swop over or does the sump need to change as well? I'm trying to get all the latest stuff into the current motor to give it the best chance possible to stop rattling but don't want to swop something if its going to make things worse
=================================
I don't know.
You'd have to do a lot more research before committing.
For example, I do know that the oil pump for each of the three series of CBR1000F have a different part number and also may well be different in connection.

Maybe - take it slow - get it right - is your best course of action given your previous experiences.

=====================================

Old 11-23-2013, 08:46 AM

Tomorrow will be a torturous day for me, I got it all assembled with the spare motors tensioner and clean pickup and now the noise is even louder, sounds like the valves are trying to climb out and run away. Yet again the gods of motorcycling have p1ssed on me and I won't make the start line tomorrow

Quick Reply: Need a professional opinion