CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Need a professional opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The filter is a genuine Honda item and the oil is not diesel spec HX7. Ran her for about 20km today and no difference, I was hoping there was maybe just some old oil in the tensioner and fresh oil would work through, but no such luck. I guess I'm going to have to open up and have a look see?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:57 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't want to run the automotive type oil in your bike. You want a JASO-MA oil in it, and the stuff you put in is not. Car oil can cause slippage in your clutch. However, it should still operate your cct without issue. Why not install a manual cct, like an APE?

I'd get that oil in there now out asap, and put in some proper stuff. If you like Shell products, their Rotella Diesel oil works great. I use the 15W-40 non-synth and have never looked back.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

David,
if the oil change doesn't sort out your rattle then you might want to consider an alternate source of the noise. It may not be the cam chain.
I would take the rocker cover off and run the engine at low revs to see if you can see anything abnormal going on in there. Make sure you cover the bike in and anything else which is in line with the cam chain as there will be some splattering which is a pain to clean up but this is a worthwhile experiment. Don't run the engine for too long as there will also be some oil running over the front edge of the head onto the exhausts. If the engine isn't hot in the first place you can get away with 30 seconds of running without the risk of starting a fire on your pipes.
If you suspect the chain is at fault, take off the top guide and run it again. You will see any play in the chain between the cam sprockets immediately. You don't mention how many miles are on the chain but it may be worth changing it if you suspect it's past its sell by date.
Other sources of noise could be:
tappets need adjusting, bent or sticking valve (common after overheating), worn cam bearing/s (god forbid) or piston rings broken, worn or otherwise damaged. I hope none of the above are true but worth checking. Let's also hope you haven't warped the head.

Running an under-cooled, overheated engine is a definite no no. Hope you don't live to regret it.
Good luck.

H

Last edited by HenryM; 11-14-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:45 AM

Thanks Henry

It's not in my nature to abuse mechanical objects, especially ones I built myself and spent much time and money on. On this occasion my sister was hospitalized and the CBR was my only way of getting to her. Possibly the last 3 or 4km the gauge was in the red and getting back home probably about another 6km or so in the red belching steam on my knee. Given the same set of circumstances I'd do exactly the same thing again. Blistered knee and all

I will try to get her opened up and see what's what, but this weekend is jam packed full of commitments. I'll post my findings as soon as I find them

Thank you so much for the suggestions on what to look for, as you say, hopefully I didn't toast anything expensive

Old 11-15-2013, 05:15 PM

When needs must.....Hospitalised relatives always take precedent over machines any day.
I hope your sister is now better.
Look forward to hearing what you find when the spanners finally come out to play. I know how hard it is to find time even to do basic maintenance sometimes. When it comes down to it, owning a CBR does cut you a bit of slack simply because they're such well built machines in the first place. Just don't take the **** for toooooo long!

H

Old 11-18-2013, 01:21 PM

I got some time to work on the CBR tonight. I knew I shouldn't have gone out there. Bad mood after a crap day at work is never a good time to open up a motor. I was also in a rush due to the charity run this coming weekend. So there we went, fairing off on the left, tank off, tappet cover off. Ok lets take the chain guard off to see if there is slack...O F F S !!! Bolt down the tunnel. %@!$#%@!$
$@!#%#@!%

Ok, no problem, pop the tensioner out and I should reach it.
Cool, tensioner out - except I forgot to loosen the cam gear bolts while the chain was still on. Ok - I can figure a way to get around that too.

Holy mother - I knock the bolt that was resting against the lower cam chain sprocket into the sump

$#@%@#$%@!#
$@#%#@%($#@!#$&#@!$#@%&

Now I have to take off the radiator, exhaust etc. to take off the sump to get the dropped bolt out - not sure whether to continue swearing or pack up and go inside....ok, pack up and go inside before I stuff something else up

Not a happy camper

Old 11-18-2013, 02:32 PM

Apologies for the ranting, I am just very upset with myself. I expect better than that, I know better, this is not my first bike, or the first time I make this EXACT mistake.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you could try a strong small magnet and try and fish it (them) out through
the oil drain first before you go pulling it all apart

Old 11-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
you could try a strong small magnet and try and fish it (them) out through
the oil drain first before you go pulling it all apart
BUMP +1

Definitely as Sprock said... or from the top like this... I've had great success with these..

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XTeles copic+Magnetic+Pick+up+Tool+&_nkw=Telescopic+Magne tic+Pick+up+Tool+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Old 11-19-2013, 04:59 AM

David,
nightmare on CBR street mate! Bad bloody luck. As you rightly say, if you're not in the mood for engine work, don't start doing it. I have encountered similar situations and in the end, after exhausting my entire catalogue of advanced swear words taken myself inside and grumped out until bed time.

I would suggest sticking to plan A and remove the sump to get your bolts back. Look at it as a good excuse to check the oil strainer beneath the pump. A very worthwhile job if you're going in there anyway. As long as the gasket doesn't tear when you get the cover off you should be able to reuse it without leaks. I've never had a problem with that as long as the surfaces are clean and a small wipe of grease applied before mating up again.
Anyway, rant away mate. We're all ears and shoulders mate.

Quick Reply: Need a professional opinion