CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

NEED HELP FINE TUNING MY 94 1000F

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP FINE TUNING MY 94 1000F

Hi guys in need of some help i have a 1994 cbr 1000f ive owned for about 2 1/2 years i bought the bike with 9000 miles and now ive got 20000..
its been a great bike and its in great shape was all stock when i got it.. i put and vance hines 4-2-1 full exhaust and a dyno jet kit with a k&n filter..
My problem is the bike runs fat.. dumpes the black smoke under hard accel..
its winter soi got it all tore apart carbs off.. the elveation is around 4000ft where imat ,i got d124 jets in it right now was going to drop to d120 and put the eclip in groove#1
I want it alittle fat still due to i take lots of trips down to sea level just need to hit a happy medium
do you think this change would work good??
Also at sea level runs great rips hard but when i run it hard though the gears somtimes it stumbles and dies like it runs out of fuel and after cranking for awhile fires back up.. do you think this might be a jetting and carb issue?? fuel restriction??
i going to adjust the valves on it also.. anthing i need to look for and check on the cam chain and tensinor?? somtimes i hear noise when i first fire but goes away when warm
does anyone have problems with there bike vapor locking if left in the sun in 80 or above weather for a few hours.. ill fire up make it a block and dyes
one more thing this is a california model...you cant see the valve cover from all the vacume lines and hoses.. do they make a smog elimernator kit for this bike..is there anybody that has removed these items.. while its apart id like to clean it up alittle if i could get rid of all the smog that would be great
any help,mods or info would be great.. summers coming cant wait to get back on the road again

Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: NEED HELP FINE TUNING MY 94 1000F

I have a 90 California model, and there are a few things you can do to make it run properly :
1 The main carb inlet rubbers have restrictors in them, which cut your HP down from 133 to about 106 HP, when combined with all the emission control c...p Grind off the restrictors to flush with the pipes and you'll get proper airflow.Run the bike on a dyno when you've done this to establish proper jetting for your needs - I can't give you jet sizes, but at altitude your air correction jets will need to be bigger than at the coast, for obvious reasons.
2 Dump any catalytic converter still on the bike.I'll send you pics of my tappet cover, with minimal hoses if needed.
3 Mine does vaporise the fuel in the carbs if left in the hot sun for too long - best bet is try to keep the bike cooler by parking in the shade, or cover the tank with a cloth or something.Idle the bike for a minute or so after it's been standing in the sun, to give the fuel a chance to stabilise in the carbs before moving off.
4 If it dies under hard accelleration, sounds like a float level problem, or partly blocked needle & seats, or even a blockage in your petcock valve in the tank, causing insufficient fuel flow.
5 If the cam chain is rattling at startup this is normal, but don't let it get too noisy or you'll run the risk of jumping teeth on the cam sprockets and wrecking your engine.If in doubt, replace the camchain.Tensioners last about the lifetime of 2 camchains, so you shouldn't need one for a while yet.
6 Don't adjust the valves unless there's a problem......
Let me know if anything else springs to mind.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM

Valves are every 8k miles. Makes startup a lot quicker. Black smoke means either 1) too much gas or 2) not enough air. Running at 4000ft, I would say not enough air, so I would go down one size on the main jet to cut off some fuel. Raising the e-clip one position will also restrict the fuel flow roughly between 25-75% throttle.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 PM

thanks for the reponses very helpful info..did some research stock jets are 122 think i might put the stockers back in.. and as for the e-clip i figure ill drop them down a notch and when i go down to sea level i can put them back with the carbs stillon the bike im hoping this will work out if my thinking is right..i adjusted the valves at about 11k so im just going to recheck them whlie i have it apart.. everthing looks good with the cam chain dont think im going to worry about this winter maybe next ...now as for the smog.. dont have any catalist full exhaust system...have air valves that plumb into the head above the exhaust port to valves on top of thevalve cover.. not sure but i thought the 1990 1000f engine was alittle different..ill take a look at the carbs
didnt see and restricters not sure what to look for.. also have a fuel vaporcanister in between the exhuast pipes wouldnt mind getting rid of.. let me know and thanks for all the info