CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

need help/ 1987 1000 been sitting

Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help/ 1987 1000 been sitting

Greetings!

My next door neighbor is the original owner of a 1987 cbr 1000. I has been sitting for a few years now, and I am interested in buying it. The bike has 18,000 miles on it, and looks to be in very good shape. My neighbor is a serious neat nic, and knowing how he takes care of his stuff this should be a nice bike. Here is the problem: I had been sitting for a year or two, and he tried to start it. Cranks Won't Run, sprayed starting fluid in the engine, and it started, but now there is a noise in the motor. He thinks that he damaged the started clutch? I understand that the engine has to be pulled to replace this. If this is the case, and while the engine is out, would you replace plugs,points etc. and what should Be done to the carbs?

I also have no idea as to the cost of the above repairs, and would think it would be a good idea to replace all fluids, and tires before riding this bike.
could you guys on this forum help me in setting a fair price for this bike, and what you think I will spend to get it running. I am looking for a fun fast bike to run around on, and doubt it will ever see it's true potential with an old fat guy on it. Have not rode in many years.

Thanks for any input

Chip

Old 05-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need help/ 1987 1000 been sitting

I got my'88 with 10,000miles on it. It sat for a long time in a heated garage. My carbs were dirty. So I had to clean them. To get it to run right. Plus... if the bike is trying to be started with the old gas in it. More than likely It won't fire. As for the starter clutch... Yeah the case's have to be split. If that's the problem. To have that done would be pricey. But it depends on how cheap you get the bike. I gave $2000 for mine. If you're interested I'd haul the bike to a shop and get it checked out before you buy it. Butthat noise might be from the timing chain tensioner. They are a common problem on our bikes... Also they are hydraulic. Soif it sat for awhile... all the oil has ran out of it. Which will make some rattling noises until the oil gets circulated through the motor good.
Hope this helps.