CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Need Generator and some help!!1

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Generator and some help!!1

Hey there fellow Hurricanners......

I have a 90 CBR1000f, and I need some help. First, I am looking for a generator and a cover, any help would be much appreciated because I think I found one. It is off a 92 or 93 1000f I am not sure of the year, but I was wondering if this would be compatible with my year model. This is my dad calling me about it, see I am down in the caribbean going to Med. School so I have no way of looking at it. All, I know is that this one is off of the model that is black, red, and gray. I have searched, but I know that you guys are more reliable, because you actually own or know someone who has one. Also, I would have to take the heads off to get to it, now would I? Any help or advice that you guys/gals can give me would be much appreciated. I, also, would like to thank you all, the CBRForum friends, in advance for any help you give me. And I will respond back with updates, but as of now, that is all. Thank you once again.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Need Generator and some help!!1

To help you lets be clear on the parts you need ( alternator// generator) ... Please confirm parts from this link ... http://whelge.dyndns.org/fishcbr1/TN_E__1000.jpg
Please confirmyour modelfrom this link ...
http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CBR1000F

You will note following link that at least 1990 to 1994 has the same part numbers for the same items (CASE, ALTERNATOR 170186-001). Therefore they are the same ...

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot.../m2018sch32805

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot.../m2021sch14707

This is a start for you.
I have never done replacement so others may be able to help here.

See the link below for workshop manual.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are plenty of posts on generator/stator removal. The cover's easy to replace, but if you want to remove the entire stator/generator, it's MUCH more difficult. The manual recommends you remove the engine to do it, but if you send KASKA a PM- he's done it with the engine in the frame.....
If you need a manual, let me know.
www.mrcycles.com has the stator complete, or just the stator cover with windings.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:15 AM

Pwease, mister, change the logo on my widdle twolley...........[X(]
My Daddy said it must be online service, and my twolley and scootie must be wed -
not gween, wed !

Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Naga_Thai - to answer your questions...yes, those are the exact parts that I am looking for, and my model is a 1990 red, white, and blue CBF1000f hurricane with the liquid cool inline. I bought it used about 7 years ago, and am loving it, but for the last two years I haven't been able to find any used part to change out the generator and the dealer wants an arm and a leg for it. What happened was, first, it stopped charging. the bike would start fine with a fully charged battery or a new battery. an hour or so down the road, it dies, especially when coming to a stop. Then it would not start any more, could put a jump to it and it starts but then as soon as you take the leads off, it dies right down. So I got a new battery, still does it when it drains the battery. I ask around town, did not know about you guys here, a gentlemen told me, might be the regulator/rectifier. got one of those, was an aftermarket one, so i had to cut the wiring harness and plus i saw that it had melted part of the harness, problem solved, for a while. couple of months down the road, same thing happened to me again, i tell you, its embarrassing to be stuck in the middle of the road with your bike not starting. i again bought a new battery for it, drove it home, and took the panels apart. found that the wire harness to the cover for the generator had melted away too. so I took the cover off, cleaned off the little oil that leaked into the generator there, splice up the harness and went on my way, again problem solved for a while. two months down the road, same thing, this time I decided to try to pull the generator out, got it half way out, but didn't know that there was a sproket back there, running on a chain, had thought it was just a gear. so with me attempting to put it back in, I crack the housing the the generator, so now I need those two parts and hope that my problem will be solved. Unfortunately, I am at school right now, not going back home till Dec. so I am just trying to get my parts lined up so when I get home I can fix it or get someone to fix it for me.
Your information was very informing, thank you for all the info. and now I think I have my answer. thank you very much Naga_Thai.
will let you know if I ever get it running and will post some pics. the bike is actually in very very good condition. sorry for being longwinded.

Shadow 1.........thankyou for the link, I couldn't get it to work on my comp. but maybe its just me, cause down here in the caribbean things work when they want to and not when they want to. I will try again later. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

4agemister2- Given that you have had addional R/R problems - these may be of help if you haven't already got/read them ...

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ng-diagram.pdf

and,

REGULATOR RECTIFIER - http://tinyurl.com/6fnjdq

Old 10-17-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks Naga_Thai

you are a lifesaver, thank you very much. when I get back home and try this out I will definitely keep you posted.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:43 AM

I picked up a used stator cover on e-Bay . New one is around $214 US from www.Mrcycles.com
You could also look up Ronayres or Bikebandit, but check the breakers on e-Bay - you may be pleasantly surprised. Good luck !

Quick Reply: Need Generator and some help!!1