CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Need advice on Vance & Hines exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on Vance & Hines exhaust system

i have had my Hurricane about a year and a a half now. I remember when I bought the bike, the seller said he also had a Vance & Hines exhaust he would sell, but didnt come with the bike.

Recently I decided to call him and see if he still had it.(I was hoping he would just let me have it since he has no need for it). But he hurt my feelings!! Said he wants $150 for the system. He said it was the full header system, not just slip ons.

Is this a fair price? And what about the sound? Loud? Good note? Any advice is welcome.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need advice on Vance & Hines exhaust system
i have had my Hurricane about a year and a a half now. I remember when I bought the bike, the seller said he also had a Vance & Hines exhaust he would sell, but didnt come with the bike.

Recently I decided to call him and see if he still had it.(I was hoping he would just let me have it since he has no need for it). But he hurt my feelings!! Said he wants $150 for the system. He said it was the full header system, not just slip ons.

Is this a fair price? And what about the sound? Loud? Good note? Any advice is welcome.

Very good price if the exhaust system is in good shape. The sound is Louder and you have to get used to the funny look of only having one CAN. Easy to take off the old one and install the new one. Might want to order (4) new header gaskets. IMO

Old 12-31-2009, 02:46 PM

You'll probably have to lose your centerstand in order to mount it, if that matters to you.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 PM

I have it one on mine. You can keep the centre stand but I took it off to make a cleaner look. Also, the metal exhaust covers become surplus.

I love the look and like the sound. It's a tad tinny to my ear, a bit of a vibration of the aluminum on the can itself, I think. Sound volume is quite a bit more than stock but certainly not "annoy the neighbours" loud.

I paid about $450 for mine new two years ago.

I far prefer the look of a single exhaust. No accounting for taste though, eh?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:53 AM

Thanks guys! I certainly dont want to lose the center stand. i may just end up buying them soon, but even though its a good deal, im not going to pay what he wants for the pipes or he can just keep them.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Also with the V&H 4-1 system you will loose some low end tractability. You may have to rejet the carbs as well. It is a performance pipe made to make HP at the higher RPM's.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Good point. I did have to re-jet. Without it, it was lagging badly on take off. I really needed to rev it to get enough power to get underway.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 AM

If you can get the price to where you are comfortable buying it; try it. If you hate it you can probably make your money back at least. See what they are selling on E-bay for.

Don't take that as gospel; it is a recession and can't afford to buy it if I am wrong. hehe

Old 02-07-2010, 04:37 PM

I been looking around the net. I see a couple of different setups im somewhat interested in. wondering if out of these two.. which one are u guys talking about? and which u'd rather see on your bike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:en

http://www.amazon.com/VANCE-HINES-SU.../dp/B002IVFEPU

Quick Reply: Need advice on Vance & Hines exhaust system