CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so here are some updated pics of the bike with all body panels that i have and the two pieces that I need for sure. (will also be posting in the want/need section)

the piece that covers the fuse's
the right side dog ear cover for the inside.

Also if by chance (and I doubt it) anyone has the front cowl that goes around the headlight and the such that is all one piece id love to have one lol my current one that's on the bike has been put back together with crappy fiberglass work and plastic (not my work) and I have one that is in pretty good shape just needs some good fiberglass work done but, rather just have a complete one.

Attached Thumbnails My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170316_154201_hdr.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170316_154213_hdr.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170316_154242_hdr.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170316_154255_hdr.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170316_154320_hdr.jpg  

My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170316_154332_hdr.jpg  
Old 03-23-2017, 05:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hiya fella , welcome.
Re the fibre glass or grp as its known does not stick well to plastic, especially the abs the bike plastics are made of.In fact motorbike fairings are a sod to repair, heat guns, abs solvent etc. In your neck of the woods, USA, there are some fantastic outlets which sell adhesives for such plastic.
However, the best results are with a warmed up plastic, a V'd out groove along the split nearly to the outer surface, a mix of abs glue and shavings from the plastic abs you are working with and 'work' the paste once thoroughly mixed, in.
The other way is to use this stuff: 'Supa-fix'. Web site is :Supa Fix Adhesives and Filling Powders
It seems to work v.well You need the 2 bottle jobby, aka APX4

Last edited by bullroarer; 03-23-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:18 PM

thanks for the advice bullroarer! I will look into this. I was going to use fiberglass myself to mend the other front cowl that I have but now that you're saying it won't hold well to ABS plastic I need to rethink my plans. My only other problem then is the other front cowl that I'm trying to rebuild (not the one on the bike) has missing pieces (the two skinny pieces that go behind where the turn signals go and some parts on the bottom of the fairing). If I can't use fiberglass to make this a whole fairing again then what are my options? I will post pics of said fairing in the AM.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by AGangOfSquirrels
thanks for the advice bullroarer! I will look into this. I was going to use fiberglass myself to mend the other front cowl that I have but now that you're saying it won't hold well to ABS plastic I need to rethink my plans. My only other problem then is the other front cowl that I'm trying to rebuild (not the one on the bike) has missing pieces (the two skinny pieces that go behind where the turn signals go and some parts on the bottom of the fairing). If I can't use fiberglass to make this a whole fairing again then what are my options? I will post pics of said fairing in the AM.
Those bits you talk about are seldom intact, such a thin bit of plastic. What I did, was gouge out a groove on the hidden side, lay some actual strands of fibre glass, then use some abs glue with shavings off an old fairing, make a paste..... good as new and strong as the fibres keep it reinforced.......dont use the fibreglas resin as I said it does not work v well.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:29 AM

That is an ingenious idea. Below are some pictures of what I've got so far and where I was going with my ideas. The "dog ear" on the left side was broken when I purchased the fairing so I used some Gorilla Glue to put it back on and it seems to be holding ok. I cut up an old wire coat hanger and used one piece as a splint of a sort on the back side of the dog ear as well to add in some bracing since you will never see that side of the fairing once it is on the bike anyways. I then used another piece of the wire to kind of mock up where I was going to build the new piece that goes behind the turn signal. my original idea was to use that as a skeleton to build the fiberglass piece. I've done some early sanding to knock off the excess glue and some body filler to help smooth out the repairs. a lot of work still yet to go but, I can take my time seeing as I do (even though it's in bad shape) have a fairing on the bike at the moment.

Would it be easier and perhaps stronger to just remove the wire and create support using ABS strands and glue for the entire thing or would you leave the wire as structured support and go over them with the ABS compound?

Attached Thumbnails My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170324_110300_hdr.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170324_110313_hdr.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170324_110320_hdr.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170324_110329_hdr.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170324_110338_hdr.jpg  

My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170324_110351_hdr.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170324_110410_hdr.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170324_110424_hdr.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170324_110439_hdr.jpg  
Old 03-24-2017, 12:35 PM

Nice one. ABS strands, may be, but not a huge amount of strength, the wire is a good one, but rough it a lot and de grease it, should stick v.well.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:01 AM

Awesome! I really appreciate the support of the forum on my build.

A more mechanical question (i tried searching the forum as I'm sure someone else has asked but couldn't find anything)
Now I do have the cct slap that is common with the bike and like I said in my first post like everyone else once it gets warm she runs smooth as butter so I'm not going to mess with doing the mod until after the riding season is done and I start to tear everything down for the overhaul.
My question is even after she gets all warmed up and runs nice I have problems getting from 1st to 2nd gear if I'm moving at a faster than a leisurely pace. What normally happens is ill go to throw her into 2nd and ill just get a grind going nope were not doing that. sometimes she will seem to get to 2nd but fall back into N which has admittedly almost gotten me into some less than convenient situations. I am pulling the clutch in not trying to speed shift or anything. she has a new clutch and we did bleed the clutch fluid after we did it.
Should I try bleeding again or is there another gremlin with these girls that I don't know about yet or should I just not be beating her that hard? all other gears are fine when I'm getting on it, it's just the 1st to 2nd jump.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:44 AM

Does the clutch just bite with the lever fully in, or is there abit of leeway.
Or, gearshift shaft bent
Gearshift mechanism worn ....resulting in difficulty in selecting one or more gears.
Gearshift drum detent arm damaged.
Shift forks bent or seized.
Shift fork end and pin wear.
Or structural faliure, of any one component of the geat shift mechanism will result in improper or fouled gear selection.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:29 PM

Hello all,

Hope you didn't think that my progress report had died. It's amazing how life will keep you from getting to your projects also, riding the bike instead of working on it doesn't help progress.

I have managed to make some headway on the Hurricane though not as much as id like. After reading everyone's advice on how to repair/rebuild my front fairing, I decided to buy a $10 soldering iron from the local hardware store and practice "plastic welding". I am pleased to say that it works quite well after some practice and mishaps. Now I must mention that I did reach the limits of my abilities when trying to reconstruct the small parts of the front fairing that go behind the turn signals. I did in the end just cut the nubs off and sanded everything smooth to make it kinda look like those parts were never there to begin with. I sanded everything down as smooth as I wanted it to be (this was never going to look like a brand new fairing so I didn't take quite as much time as I could have on filling in imperfections and the sort). I then primed and painted it with Rustoleum gloss black enamel. For being a quick job I can tell you it has made a significant difference in the look of the bike. I only have one picture of the finished product. I got so into the plastic welding I didn't think to take pictures as I went along. Either way, thats what I have so far. I will try to get a before and after shot, so you can see the difference it has made. Still, a lot of work to do to get her back to the way she deserves to be but, one step at a time.

Side note -- Still looking for the two side panels that fill the holes under the gauge cluster (one covers the fuse and the other is the other side of that). pictures are posted above. If anyone knows of someone or somewhere selling them please let me know. Or if they'd like to donate to a good cause.

Sorry for the long update.

Attached Thumbnails My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170919_151807_hdr-1-.jpg  
Old 12-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here you go, you might get lucky. I didn't have time to look through a 1,000 parts available.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...p2045573.m1684

Quick Reply: My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)