CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)

Hello everyone,

My name is Shawn. I have started this thread in hopes to get comments, criticisms, and advice as I go through the process of restoring my 87 1000F. Long story short I got the bike about a year and a half ago had no mirrors no windscreen a busted and fiberglassed front cowl (which is still on it for now) and a few dings in the such but, it runs like a champ (yes it has the cam chain slap). I've decided to make it my project. I want to get it back as close to stock as I can but, I feel like I may have to change the color as a lot of the spare parts I find are not red and black. Here are some pictures to let everyone see what it looks like.

They go from earliest to latest. I used a piece of cut plastic for a windscreen and bar end mirrors till I could get real ones. I'm still looking for some plastics that I'm missing (ill try to get some pictures of the pieces I need in case anyone has them laying around). Well, thats where she is now.

My goal is to do a frame up restore. I'll probably do the CCT Mod since I'm pulling the motor anyways to get the frame powder coated. I'm thinking about doing the frame in a bright red to pop behind the black. Even if I have to paint the plastics and stuff I'm still probably going to keep it red and black. I also plan on powder coating the rims the same red as the frame since I don't have the cool red rims that were an option. any suggestions on powders would be great. I have a friend with a big enough oven for the frame so just need powder.

Sorry for the long first post. again all comments, criticisms, and advice welcome.

Attached Thumbnails My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20160515_124227_hdr-1-.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20160519_094013_hdr-1-.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20160610_093147_hdr-1-.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20160918_121010_hdr-1-.jpg   My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20160910_082711_hdr-1-.jpg  

My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)-20170309_154455_hdr-1-.jpg  
Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like you have made a good start, once done you will have a great reliable rocket with classic lines that will repay you in spades for all your hard work.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:32 PM

Thanks. Ill try to keep up with posting pics as i go along. i really love the bike so far.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:35 PM

Welcome!
Glad to see a another one saved instead of parted!
Definitely post pics of the progress! I love following along these type of threads.
Looks like your missing a few cosmetic pieces but between this forum and ebay, other sources...I'm sure you can get everything located

Old 03-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Well done thus far Shawn - and welcome to the CBR Forum!

Keep us up-to-date with the resto and ask any question you need.

Cheers, SB

Old 03-12-2017, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Is this a Gang of Squirrels and what they do??

Cheers, SB

Old 03-12-2017, 06:18 PM

As far as powder coat goes, I have done some powder coating myself here and there.
If you have your own gun and machine you can use your regular cooking oven to bake the powder if your just doing smaller parts. That's pretty sure to get the wife all fired up thoigh
The biggest thing I've ever done is a wheel, but was only limited by the size of my oven.
If you know somebody local that is reputable I would have them do the frame.
Tons of powders available and most are pretty inexpensive. I don't see any reason for a high-tech resistant powder in your case. They even make primer powder coat these days with is nice if you where to get a chip or deep scratch

Old 03-12-2017, 08:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice so far. I have the exhaust shrouds and the plastic pieces that go above it; I just took them off for now. Next day im off im going to put them back on and then take some pictures of what im missing. i really need the fuse cover plastic that goes under the gauges (dont really care about the color at all).

Old 03-12-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Is this a Gang of Squirrels and what they do??

Cheers, SB
in fact that is an accurate depiction. Ive been a gamer my whole life and back in the day when the first "alien vs predator" game was out for PC i started using a gang of squirrels as my name because when you killed someone it would say "gamer tag" was mauled by A Gang Of Squirrels. which sounded awesome. and if you killed a gang of squirrels it was like well ok so what

Old 03-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Shawn, I'm a bit late to the party

These are great bikes, as I'm sure you already know.

Personally I would not change the colour, the black/red really suits the MK1.

Let us know what bits you need and we'll all keep a lookout for you. Some bits are very rare though, so patience is the name of the game.

Quick Reply: My Progress Report (All Comments Welcome)