CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

my hurricane betrayed me! Please help! Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my hurricane betrayed me! Please help! Wont Start

well i put the new battery in and it was running great. So i go down the road to the gas station stopped shut it off put gas in it. Well put the key back in to turn it on and now it does nothing wont turn the lights on or anything.

I ripped off all the fairings and i cant see anything loose. I put the jump starter on it still nothing.

Could the key switch have gone bad or maybe the cut off switch?

If someone can help me that would be great because i dont know what is the matter with it.

I wanna get it running and working but now after today i wanna take it to work and put it out front with a sign that says 500 bucks and it urs.

I dont wanna really do that so someone please help

Old 09-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Default RE: my hurricane betrayed me! Please help! Wont Start

1. Check your fuses. 2. I don't use my kill switch anymore- it's caused me problems in the past. Try toggling it off and on a couple of times and see if that helps. If it does, don't use it anymore.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:05 PM

Hey dont give up yet. Looking at my 87 honda hurricane manual for possable solution. For now check your Main fuse it is a 30A. See if it is still good. It is near the battery and coolant resovoir.After that according to the chart here you have the igniton switch, sub fuses then the engine stop switch in that order. Check the fuse and sub fuses. If you have a meter check each thing to see if it is getting juice. Try that main fuse for now untill reenforcements arrive later. I know they will have a answer. I will continue to study this book for a possable solution

Old 09-06-2008, 04:12 PM

Did you charge the battery with a battery tender before the install. Hurricanes love theirbatteries.Set the meter to DCV scale, Connect the red lead to the battery terminal and the black lead to negative terminal. Fully charged battery should read 12-13volts normal readings 11-12volts needs charging below 11volts according to the manual.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:47 PM

My buddy had the same problem last week and it was the battery terminals were loose. Check the simple stuff out first! Tighned it up and bike has been fine ever since

Old 09-06-2008, 07:46 PM

i will check the battery terminals i looked thru all the fuses and they were all good when i looked at them.

and yes i charged the battery it was so weird i had it out riding it and was having a great time and now all of a sudden it wont do anything wont even jump start.

but the gauge lights wont go on or anything.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:05 PM

I had a recent problem with my bike. I found that the 30A fuse wiring was loose and I pulled out the fuse and put back together. If you are not getting any power the problem either lies with your battery connection/ Ground or that first 30A fuse. Did you use a multimeter for the check of the fuse. Sometimes a visual inspection can be misleading. If that fails, follow your 12VDC from the positive cable on the battery back and check for loose connections. I would also test your ground cable connection.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:21 PM

Bruiser is the winner with the dvldog in second. I just got back in after watching the rest of biker boys and i pulled the 30 amp fuse near the battery. Yep little bugger was blown.

I didnt have a 30amp but we put a 20 amp in there til the morning and she works again.

Next question if anyone reads and knows is, is there a way to adjust the throttle cable so i snaps back a little tighter it does now but i believe it could be a little tighter.

thanks again for all the help everyone.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Easiest way to get throttle to snap closed is to lube your cables.....and check them for internal broken strands.
There are springs attached to the carbs which are return springs, but changing them means stripping the carbs (as far as I know) and it's not worth it.
Check also for kinks, or any places under your tank where cables could be snagged or twisted.

WHY DID THE 30 AMP FUSE BLOW ??????
Check the wiring for your own peace of mind.
Pacojoseph was right, too..............

Old 09-07-2008, 08:19 AM

Shadow1 is right, fuses just don't go bad because they are feeling a wee bit under the weather. They blow because to much amperage is running through them, which in this case was in the excess of 30amps. That is enough to melt several parts of you wiring harness! Check you harness, take off all fairings and play with the harness visually inspect it completely, there is a problem there somewhere!