CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

My baby is sick.....Help me please

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, whatever it's called where you live.......................
This particular model operates on a different principle from most "bike electrical generating devices", in that it has a central probe which revolves within a set of field coils in the cover, thereby producing current. The central coil's wound longitudinally, and there is a secondary field coil also wound longitudinally unlike like most other bikes (even Hondas) Most of the stators I've seen look like the cylinders on a radial engine...........
If you need some pics I may have some, or PM Kaska, he's done it too.
(I know he has, my old stator cover's on his bike - he broke his removing it from the bike, so be a bit careful, it can be an expensive error.) Keep your old cover in case you need to switch the electrics over at some point.Not easy but can be done.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-27-2009, 12:45 PM

Yes, well........................
OK so you guys across the ditch call it an alternator.
Ronayers does too. So does Mrcycles. Both in the States.
But you also work in pounds feet inches and miles.
(and drive on the wrong side of the road)he he
I'll still call it a stator.
I'm sure no-one'll really mind.....................

Old 02-27-2009, 02:43 PM

We call it a stator too, but that's only half the story. Like I said before, an alternator consists of a rotor (Honda calls it a flywheel for some other bikes) and a stator. Neither are much good without the other. It's about spinning magnets to create an electrical current. The rotor spins and creates a current in the stator. My question, Shadow, is what do you guys call the rotor? Oh, and by the way, thedvldog is from Italy, so obviously we're not the only ones who call it an alternator, and though they may drive on the wrong side of the road, I don't think they use pounds feet etc.

Last edited by pacojoseph; 02-27-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:28 PM

Ok my turn. Who gives a rats what it's called. We are not here to argue the names of items but to help other riders in need!!! It's obvious that most of us have access to manuals & are intelligent enough to work out what the other is talking about, so why not quit the argument & just accept the advice that has been freely given especially when it is given by a person who spends a lot of his free time helping others.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Default Thanks for the help, going to buy parts

All,

Thanks for the tips. I am going to go ahead and buy the stator cover if available or the whole thing, and a R/R. If the R/R is not bad on my bike, it will be eventually:-) Any suggestions on where to buy.... maybe military friendly? Thanks... One last thing, when I posted what I found on comming off my stator leads while the bike was running, I am curious if I made the check correctly. I had my metter in Vac and I measured across two of the yellow leads going into the R/R. I swapped between the three leads trying every combination and I could not get more than .6 Vac. I also checked at the Stator connector left front side of the bike and had the same results. The R/R cannot provide voltage to charge the bike if it is not being feed the AC correct?

Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 AM

Yes correct, as far as I know - the yellow leads are from your field coils, and if I remember correctly, should be pushing out equal voltages (30 comes to mind, but it's easy to check in the manual for what to test and what results you should get............)
I assume you have one ?
If not, go to
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/midlife/i...ice_Manual.pdf
thanks to Naga Thai for the link.
There's also a "how to" in the technical section of the Forum for testing your electrics -
if you can't find it, let me know.
The best regulator rectifiers I have found come from www.Electrex.co.uk in the UK-
they give you 13.8V at 1500 RPM and carry a year's guarantee.They have a HUGE heatsink for dispersion, which the std one lacks (and is one reason why they fail IMHO)
I do have two original reg recs, and if you're prepared to pay the postage, and ask nicely, I'll send you one. I'd spend the money and buy the electrex one though, they are excellent.
Check the price on a new "alternator" - www.mrcycles.com - it's gonna hurt, but if you do replace the entire unit, get new starter clutches etc as well. Do the whole job once, and she should be good to go for years.......
Let me know if there's more I can do to assist......

Last edited by Shadow; 03-02-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the help Shadow,

I went ahead and purchased the stator cover and O-ring. Over two hundred dollars ouch! But she is to beautiful not to keep running. I had somebody stop by me the other day and say she is beautiful and looks better than a lot of the sport bikes out today. If you can think of any other tips for replacing the stator cover I would appreciate it. Grazie a milli