CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Motorcycle jack or front and rear jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle jack or front and rear jack stands?

Huh?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: pacojoseph

Some of us (me) don't have centerstands. I bought the Tandy stands because the front and rear stands cost the same or less than most rear stands alone.
Sounds to me that you need something in your case. Did yu remove the center stand? I removed one off of a CB750F because I was draggig it all over the road. I really missed it when it was off. I use to drag the side cases on that bike.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:00 PM

Huh?
You beat me on your post. I thought I was posting under mine. [X(]

Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 PM

I bought the bike without the centerstand. A previous owner had replaced the stock exhaust with a Yoshimura, so the centerstand had to go. I assume this is also the case for many others who installed full aftermarket exhasts.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:23 PM

I bought the bike without the centerstand. A previous owner had replaced the stock exhaust with a Yoshimura, so the centerstand had to go. I assume this is also the case for many others who installed full aftermarket exhasts.
YEP!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:45 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I, like Paco, don't have a centrestand - aftermarket pipes made it impossible to refit.
I have however, jacked the bike up on the engine (carefully, using a wooden block) to do the front w/ bearings before my front stand existed. I wouldn't recommend it though, the bike's very unstable.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:26 AM

Shadow,
I do this too. Lift bike on rear paddock stand and use trolley jack under engine. There is a space behind those two protrusions on the engine casing that holds the jack head firmly. Its not too bad, as the rear paddock stand holds across the whole swingarm. What I normally do is lift it up on the jack, remove the bits I need to work on, wheel, forks etc, then lower the jack down somewhat. I have had a bad expereince of the bike sliding backwards on the rear stand as we tried to fit an engine. Almost came to grief over that one!!

Ara

Old 07-10-2008, 06:58 AM

Thanks for this. I never thought about the exhaust being under the "belly" of the bike. A jack would then be useless I guess.

harbor freight has the jack for about $85.00 plus like $11.00 shipping and the front and rear wheel stands are about $35-$40 each. So I figured that I would just get the jack in case I needed to remove the front forks (which is going to happen soon).
I guess that while I have the front wheel off doing caliper, rotor and bearing work(see one of my other posts)- I might as well go ahead and have the fork seals replaced as well. It would be kinda stupid to disassemble the front just to take it all back down again later.

When I go to take the front forks off, I'll just use the center stand. I just hate having to try to get that thing up on the center stand. It's a pain to do. It weighs probably twice what my 800 Intruder weighs and I always break a sweat trying to get it up on the center stand.

ORIGINAL: tallenuf

It doesn't seem like it would be all that easy or convenient to use a motorcycle jack with the 1kf as the exhaust runs right under the bike where the jack would make contact. I'm able to do most work I need just putting the bike on the center stand. When I need to pull the front wheel I counter weight the rear end.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 AM

OK.... Now I dont want to appear some kind of Mega-Man here (well not much anyway), I have had small women able to get the beast on to the centre stand. I am an ex CBT instructor, and I used to get SOME of the students to attempt to lift the CBR onto the stand. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs here... Its just technique (Being healthily over-weight like me helps too) but get ALL of your weight on your right foot, OVER your right foot. What I mean is so that all your weight is transferred directly through the foot. Dont lean to the left at all. Lift strongly with right hand whilst bearing down with right foot and she'll lift. Actually lift your whole weight on to the stand lifter. Practice makes perfect :-))

I also bought one of these "bike stands" and whilst it is perfectly USELESS for lifting up our bikes, it has helped a great deal in the garage. They have a large capacaity and can help with engine changes, mount a plank on it and you have a variable height workbench etc etc.

Ara

Old 07-10-2008, 09:44 AM

I have a motorcycle jack and never use it on my 1kf. Works great for servicing my dirt bike though! I suppose that with a little thought, planning, and welding ability you could make a nice sturdy jacking mount that you could attach to the bike's frame/motor whichwould allow you to use the motorcycle jack and have a nice secure stable motorcycle to wrench on.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle jack or front and rear jack stands?