CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   mobile 1 racing 4T synthetic 10W-40 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/mobile-1-racing-4t-synthetic-10w-40-a-112147/)

Sprock 06-17-2010 10:07 AM

one word there Doug ........... WRONG

Multiple factors at play I'm afraid

oxidation, deposits, thermal degradation, corrosion, shearing and contamination

Contamination is a single factor in Oil Breakdown
but not the only factor other wise you'd just be
buying filters only

Indiana Hurricane 06-17-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock (Post 935605)
one word there Doug ........... WRONG

Multiple factors at play I'm afraid

oxidation, deposits, thermal degradation, corrosion, shearing and contamination

Contamination is a single factor in Oil Breakdown
but not the only factor other wise you'd just be
buying filters only

You are so....CORRECT...I have over 300,000 miles on the oil in my truck. I never have to change the oil, I just add some oil when I replace only the FILTER!!!!

Thats what I have been saying, it is not the oil people should be worried about. Its the Filter!!!

CyberTrip 06-17-2010 12:20 PM

A buddy of mine bought some Mobil1 4T Synthetic oil and then he also had a Fram filter. A FRAM filter!? I just put my head down and shook in disbelief.

Sprock 06-17-2010 12:25 PM

Well I'll pass on the Truck then Doug :D if she ever comes up for resale LOL

Note to self ....forget buying oil ..........just get a new filter every month

Indiana Hurricane 06-17-2010 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock (Post 935670)
Well I'll pass on the Truck then Doug :D if she ever comes up for resale LOL

this LINK is for you nonbeliever...:icon_hyper:

kilgoretrout 06-17-2010 01:10 PM

Doug,

Just because someone is pushing a semi to 100-300k doesn't mean that anyone should be advised to do the same in their bikes or cars.
Open your eyes, man.... seriously.
What are you running like 16 gallons of HD oil in your truck?

So I should run my KLR650 forever and never change the oil? Just the filter? Even though I KNOW the viscosity is ****ed in as little as 3,000 miles??
If it's true, I'm sure a LOT of pro engine builders would be excited to hear the news that oil changes are all for nothing.
Just get a new filter and forget about your oil, people. That's a classic.

Indiana Hurricane 06-17-2010 03:53 PM

I am using Rotella T in the Truck engine. One reason the Pro Engine builders cant do it is cause of the Thermo breakdown caused by the Heat. They run the dog crap out of the engine to get the most horse power.
We do not run the engines in cars, trucks, motorcycles on the road to the extreme levels of heat that they do.

I am not saying that we can run our motorcycles and never change the oil and just the filter, You need a special filter to do that. I am just saying that people are so worrier about the oil all the time and they do not worry about the filter.

I apologize I did not mean to :icon_hijack:

Sprock 06-17-2010 07:23 PM

You are one crazy bad ass mf threadjacking sob there ......Indy :D .........LOL

Good thing I know ya well enough to say that too :)

But 1st statement you made was

Oil does not break down or wear out, it just becomes contaminated.

Then

One reason the Pro Engine builders cant do it is cause of the Thermo breakdown caused by the Heat.

There in I'm afraid lies a slight juxtapose ! (Love that word) :) ......... a conflict of sorts if you will.

AND Hey Matt .......... see that's exactly the kind of OIL topic that got started.

We have to blame you for this one ! LOL

kilgoretrout 06-18-2010 12:04 AM

One reason the Pro Engine builders cant do it is cause of the Thermo breakdown caused by the Heat.
Thermal breakdown happens in every engine. Synthetics help a whole lot, tho.

Anyway, motorcycles and diesel rigs aren't anywhere near the same ballpark. Hell, they aren't even the same sport.. :)
Shearing from wet clutches/transmissions, etc..... 1/16th to 1/30th of the oil capacity.... different bearings..... different fuels, etc. etc.
(although with 16 gallons of Rotella T6 and some purolators, I can go over 100k miles on my CBR.... so that rig link isn't real impressive to me.. :D)

What I want to know, Doug, is what filter I should be using in my CBR that's gonna make my oil last forever.
How about the KLR? How will it restore the viscosity back to spec every 3k miles? How does a micron filter remove acids and stuff? (heck I can't do it with nanofiltration at work!... aka billionths of a meter pore size. Can't touch lignins or a million other things, either )

Indiana Hurricane 06-18-2010 05:45 AM

How does a micron filter remove acids and stuff?
The acids and stuff only happen when the oil gets contaminated.

Thermal breakdown happens in every engine
No it doesn't, only engines that over heat. Your engine doesn't get that hot if it is properly maintaned.

Mobil Oil Australia Limited Technical Bulletin #863 states: “…oil does not “wear out”, “break down” or otherwise deteriorate to such an extent that it needs to be replaced. What happens is that it becomes contaminated with water, acids, burnt fuel, carbon particles, and sludge so that it can no longer provide the desired degree of protection for engine components. But, it will be argued, most modern vehicles have an oil filter. Why does this not remove contaminants? The answer here is that a filter can only remove solid particles above a certain size. It cannot remove water, acids, or fuel dilution, all of which pass through the filter just as readily as the oil.” (Mobil, of course, is talking about the full-flow filter.)

You are one crazy bad ass mf threadjacking sob there
I say if it is worth doing, I am going to do it right.