CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Mediocre Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mediocre Fuel Economy

Getting some rather poor mileage out of a tank. Normally fill her up on BP 98' Ultimate. I don't ride hard (get 10,000k+ out of rear tyres as a example) however I need to flick the reserve on at only 230-250k (sorry, using metric). Fairly poor for a 22litre tank. My old XJR1300 was a well known gas guzzler and that got the same range but with a 300cc bigger motor. I'm no lightweight, weigh in at 86kg but surely that won't make that much difference? My old BMW R1150GS was good for over 500k on the highway.

Someone said the motor might be running to rich as it takes a long time to warm up, is that a possibility?

Old 01-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Default RE: Mediocre Fuel Economy

Two things, first, you don't need the higher octane. And second, have you looked at your plugs?
If they are black, then yes you are running too rich. I have 15K (miles) on a set of plugs and they look light tan in color, indicating that I'm about spot on mixture wise.
I'm too lazy to do the math, but your figures seem way low mileage wise. FWIW, I get a solid 37 to 39 around town and 45+ on the highway That's miles per gallon and about 200 miles on a tank. That's pretty typical of the others here too.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:51 AM

Give that a try, also where did you get that touring screen from in your avatar?

Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 AM

I ran my 92, 1000 on normal unleaded Premium or 95 doesnt seem to make much differnece I have just completed a 5,000 Kls trip and ran it on straight unleaded I was getting around 260 Kls on 15 to 16 litres. We are both 6 feet tall and we had around 50 Kilos of luggage so I was happy with the fuel consumption. One thing I did before we left was to have the Value clearnaces done this make a HUGE difference in starting, as I just place the choke at about half and press the starter wait around 1 minute then take it off get it a couple of revs and shes idleing @ 1200 rpm, I also put Valoline carby clean trougth the tank about month beofre we went.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7739/45189647C2024E8AB708BE21E648773F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-03-2007, 05:52 AM

The plugs were black, ordered a new set, install them tomorow, see how things go.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:54 AM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your plugs where black your bike is running rich, meaning itĀ“s getting too much fuel. You canĀ“t fix that by just changing plugs! If you have good mecanical skills you can adjust the carbs by following workshop manual (you can download this here in this forum). However, a very clotted air intake filter can also cause the engine to run rich, check that while you change the plugs.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:12 PM

When was the last time you checked your needle & seats for wear?

Also I only get 200-220k's before reserve with city riding, but I'm a heavy lad and also tend to sit very upright.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Trips

When was the last time you checked your needle & seats for wear?

Also I only get 200-220k's before reserve with city riding, but I'm a heavy lad and also tend to sit very upright.

Wasn't expecting much wear, its only got 8300k on the clock, going to get the carbs done next Wednesday, I don't like messing with engines.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 PM

Hey Coopz
Before you spend money in bike shops, you can check a couple of things by your self... One thing, when you checked your spark plugs was it after heating up the engine or after some riding. When you pull the choke the bike is runing reacher therefore the plugs will be black. If your bike would runrich then for it to start and heat up it would need alot less help from the choke.Take a look at the air filter, ride the bike for some km, let it cool offand then check the spark plugs. One more thing,I have a cbr 1000f from1996. It should be exqactly like yours.My entire gas tank capacity is 22 L. It kiks to rezerve at about 220-250 km (not going over 160 km/h but keepeing it close). When you say you fill it upafter about 220 km, you poor 22L of gas?! or you had put it on rezervefor a shor while?! Look at the gas pump, because for shure when you start running onrezerve to fill it up you put about 16 l of gas. If it is like that it means your bike is doing a max consumtion of about 8. Mine is betwen 7-8 as well.
Hope it did any help
Regards

Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Coopz

Give that a try, also where did you get that touring screen from in your avatar?
It's a MRA Vario. I got it at www.twistedthrottle.combut they are in the US. MRA has distributors in Europe. Google them and you might find one local to you. BTW They also make just the flip up part that you can mount on any windscreen now.

Back to your original problem. Since your plugs are balck, indicating a rich condition, I echo the others in what to check before taking it in. Make sure your choke is all the way off, and your air filter isn't clogged. Little rodents and even bees have built nests in the airbox inlets!

Quick Reply: Mediocre Fuel Economy