CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Maximum weight capacity

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maximum weight capacity

In the owners manual for my 1999 CBR1000F, it states that the maximum weight capacity is 407 pounds. It goes on to say that this includes the weight of the rider, passenger, all cargo and accessories. How closely does this figure have to be adhered to?

I'm about to take a touring trip with myself and passenger. Both together and wearing our leathers and helmets etc, we weight 400 pounds. This only leaves us 7 pounds for luggage etc (my Givi top box alone weighs in at 10 pounds!).

I have for sure seen bikes such as the CBR1000F and CBR1100XX complete with passenger and 3 hard Givi boxes. Does anybody have any advice or thoughts on this please?

Thanks

Old 08-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maximum weight capacity

Towing Capacity??
10' rope
Skateboard
Tell the passenger to HANG ON!

jk...I've wondered the same thing.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:39 AM

That would be fun in a controlled environment like a school parking lot!
But as far as the question is, I really wouldn't think that maybe 10-20lbs above what it says is going to affect it that much, but that's my .02 cents!

ORIGINAL: rino

Towing Capacity??
10' rope
Skateboard
Tell the passenger to HANG ON!

jk...I've wondered the same thing.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The top speed of the bike is 165 MPH (266km). I think Honda is saying that a 407lb rider can go that fast safely.

My friend and his wife with fully loaded side cases and top case were way over loaded on their ST1100 on a long trip. He told me that he went to the 42 PSI MAX pressure in the rear where the bulk of the weight was. In the 3,800 mile ride he said he saw more than normal tire wear. He could feel the weight and took it easy.

I would tend to go with the MAX tire load as marked on the tire. I would go for a short ride around the block fully loaded to see if it bottoms out or feels odd. The rear spring and handling would be my concerns. You will not break the frame or hurt the bike in any way being over the Honda limit (within reason). You want for you and your passenger to be safe.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:30 PM

Here's an article - can you tell I'm bored this morning?
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/str...ival/Overload/

Old 08-14-2006, 03:46 PM

I'm doing a trip in a few weeks and will have my bike fully maxed out as well, but no pillon. I do plan on going to max PSI on the rear.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:40 PM

I figure that the max weight rating is at the full capacity of the bike and if you go over that and push the bike, then I think you are asking for trouble.
So I reckon you can go over, but need to pull back on how you ride.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:19 AM

It's interesting that some have you mentioned going to maximum pressure in the rear tire.
I run 42 PSI regardless, which is the Honda recommended pressure and the Max cold pressure on the tire sidewall.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks everybody for your replies. I always run 42psi in the rear and 36 in the front.

I guess that one always expects a deterioration in handling when carrying a passenger. My strategy will be to ditch the Givi topbox (saving 10 lbs) and bungee a soft bag to the Givi toplate. Most of my luggage will then go in a tankbag - placing a little more weight over the front wheel.

Anymore advice welcome!

Cheers folks

Nelson

Old 08-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Tire pressure is based on tire load. When I go on a trip where I carry my tent, folding chair, tarp, sleeping bag and clothes I up the pressure.

On days when the boys and I are all out eating up tires in the turns on our 360 mile run that we do, I let air out. I drop as far as 27 up front and 36 rear. There is better hold, less chatter and less chance of puncture with less PSI. BTW, 27 seams low but the friction the tire takes heats the air in the tire increasing PSI. I use 1/2 tire life during that 360 MI trip. When you play you pay.

The tire is rated for a certain load at a certain PSI. MAX load @MAX PSI.
My point was to go to max PSI and not to exceed the MAX load as stated on the tire.

The extra weight also deforms the tire. Handling is compromised. The only real test is a short ride around the block fully loaded and rough roads to see how the bike feels.

Quick Reply: Maximum weight capacity