CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Lowering Link ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Link ?

I've got a friend,She's got a 93' CBR1000,loves the bike,but she's having a hard time because she's short and it's hard for her to back it up,or maneuver it.She's thinking about selling it because of this,although she doesn't want too.I suggested getting a lowering link as a possible solution,but I don't know where to get one or if that would help her.Who has them for this model bike,and would it help? She's tried other seats,had hers cut down etc. so that's no fix.Anybody know if a lowering link would help? Morayman

Old 02-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lowering Link ?

A set of "Dog bones" will surely help - my buddy fitted some to his Blackbird, and dropped the rear suspension about 1 1/2 inches - he's a real shortarse at 5'5", and can now ride the thing without kicking his sidestand out at traffic lights.........
I'll ask him where he bought them and get back to you.....

And tell your friend to log in too......he he

Old 02-21-2008, 09:09 PM

Hey, If anybody can answer this question. I need to know too. Tried to build a set. Didn't work. Something weird about the shock linkage. 94 model

Old 02-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Friend and Hero ...

If memory serves me correctly, and it's a little fuzzy. Since my brain surgery there was a thread started way back about lowering and raising the rear suspension on these bikes. It was not recommended because of the somewhat unique rear suspension design. I'm sure R1000, Trips or Dad will remember more about this. I have searched for the thread and couldn't come up with

Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 PM

Thanks dude. It's kinda funky, need to lower mine to drag race this season. I can strut it but I want some travel in the rear.

Oh yeah, Semper Fi, I was Army myself.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:56 PM

Here's a real dumbass suggestion........
If dogbones don't work, how about a shorter spring which is stiffer ? I know we used to use different, shorter but stiffer springs and/or shocks "back in the day" to drop the rear on older twin shock models, and that worked fine........never needed to try it on the Hurri, though........

Old 02-21-2008, 10:25 PM

Shadow, it may work if I could shorten the throw on the shock. Might buy a spare on ebay and try it. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 AM

I would contact Wilbers at http://www.motorcycle-suspension.com...cts/index.html

They advertise these links specifically for this purpose.

Hope this helps,
Andy

Old 02-22-2008, 09:00 AM

Thanks for trying Andy, but the link doesn't work.......the German might be a problem for some of the members, too..... he he
FARAWAY - Again, me being a dumbass, but if the spring was slightly shorter, but stiffer, why would you need to modify the shock - ? The shock SHOULD work from any position on its travel, shouldn't it ? It's only a damper after all, and if the stiffer spring were to compress fully, it'd just "bottom out"......? Maybe I just don't understand the physics........on the twins, we didn't change the shocks, just the spring rate and length..... Oh, and as for Semper Fi ( Hi Gunny) and Army, we couldn't all be in the Paras.....he he he. All due respect to the Marines, who I regard as the finest unit on God's green earth, and without peer in ANY army ( even ours)

Old 02-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654

If memory serves me correctly, and it's a little fuzzy. Since my brain surgery there was a thread started way back about lowering and raising the rear suspension on these bikes. It was not recommended because of the somewhat unique rear suspension design. I'm sure R1000, Trips or Dad will remember more about this. I have searched for the thread and couldn't come up with
here is 1 of them
https://cbrforum.com/m_213447/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Lowering Link ?