CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Long-Term Storage And Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long-Term Storage And Tires

Time is very short before I have to leave for the sandbox, but the poor old CBR won't go another 100 miles without a rear tire and am torn between the Michelin Road Pilot based on R1000 report of long-lasting high mileage ability and the
Continental Conti Road Attack Radial. I have read good things about the Continental, but have no personal experience with it and am wondering if anyone here has ran this tire. I'm also wondering if anyone has had any experience in long-term storage with bikes concerned about dry rot of the tires and possible rust in the crank case. After setting for 15 months. Any help on either one of these issues would be greatly appreciated BTW I am sticking with the 180 not going with the 190 based on most of the knowledgeable individuals. recommendation from this forum

[IMG]local://upfiles/16045/04215D520F3E4356AD1CF423038BC1A9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16045/946EE58DF3704256B7CB2E410AFEC8CF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-12-2007, 02:42 AM
Default RE: Long-Term Storage And Tires

15 months storage should be no problem as long as the bike is stored in a dry environment. I would also change the engine oil, old oils contains a lot of aggressive contaminations. Drive the bike for 30 minutes or so with the new oil and then don’t start it anymore until it will be used again. Some people starts their bikes for a few minutes now and then during winter since they believe it will be lubricated then. What happens then is that the oil will include more and more water. When an engine is started, it should be let run so the water that builds up canboil away and this takes more thana few minutes.

The tyres will also be fine if the temperature is not too high. I would put in 10 PSI higher pressure during the storage.

The important thing is to protect the bike from sun and humidity. In case there is a risk for some humidity, you should also remove the ignition plugs and put a spoon of oil directly in the cylinders and turn the engine a few turns by hand. It is just to put in a gear and move the bike without the plugs. The plugs should be installed again after putting the oil in. You can also protect screws and other metal parts by spraying them with WD 40.

Don’t forget to drain the carbs.

The fuel in the tank can be protected by fuel conservating liquid, shops that sells marine stuff carry this.

Take care in the sandbox !

Old 08-12-2007, 04:37 AM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

`Bout those tires: I would absolutly consider Pirelli Diablo Strada instead of the Conti. The Diablo is ahead the Conti in all categories, while the Michelin is ahead in grip in wet and wear, while the Diablo has better handling then the Michelin. I have not tested any of these tires, my input is based on tire test in a swedish mc-magazin which I trust.

Storage: R1000 said it all! Maybe you could raise the front a little too with the bike on it´s center stand, so both wheels are off the ground.

Sandbox? Are we talking Iraq here?

Old 08-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: mikekop

`Sandbox? Are we talking Iraq here?
YES

This deployment is different from the last couple. Here is a link to something I posted here on the subject

https://cbrforum.com/m_349259/tm.htm

Here is some photos of my injuries I suffered while in the sandbox
https://cbrforum.com/m_335379/tm.htm

Old 08-12-2007, 06:35 PM

If you canlift both wheel off the ground is good if not put it on some carpet so the tyres don't flat spot. Be careful return to ride again.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Would like to thank everyone for their advice on long-term storage, and to let you know, I went to get that new tire today at a local shop and found out that Michelin pilot Road actually comes in three different 180/55/17 and the salesman was absolutely no help in which tire would be the right one or what the difference was between the three other then one of them was original equipment on the BMW K. series and the other one was original stock equipment on the SV 1000 and the third one is a generic. All three have the same speed rating, but have different sidewall identification numbers and different stock numbers form Michelin. Plus there is a couple dollars difference in each one. The only one they had in stock, was the one for the BMW. Here is a link to what I'm talking about any advice would be greatly appreciated , have to make a decision by Saturday. If I'm going to ride

http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/tir...=1&type=44

Old 08-17-2007, 12:50 AM

I'm sure any of the versions will do fine.

Have you checked if they carry the follow up tyre to the Pilot Road, the new Pilot Road II. It has been released in Europe and has got very good test results. It will last as long as the original Pilot Roads and it has even better grip in all conditions.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:35 AM
Friend and Hero ...

Glad your round R1000 was hoping to get your input. I did ask about the pilot road 2 the salesman looked at me as if I was crazy. Of course this is a very small bike shop. there's not much of anything where I am right now, close and I am going to try about 60 miles down the road tomorrow at a different bike shop and will ask again about the Pilot Road 2 but have not done any online research as to its availability here in the states but thank you so much for the input. The little shop did offer to mount and balance the one they have for $135.00 US, which is a really good deal based on the prices that I have seen online