CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I does not drip oil on the center stand.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !

Originally Posted by malbojah
What kind of oil are you running (dino or syn?)

I plan on running dino. I know about syn oils in older bikes not being great.
I have not clue what kind of oil it is running. It was just changed when I bought the bike and have not run enough miles to change it yet.
500 more miles to the next change.

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Yep, looks like the water pump. Shouldn't be oil, tho, unless you have a bigger problem than outer gasket.
Mine leaks a little coolant from there, too. Been meaning to fix that. (where's the "shame" smiley?)

I would think someone on here would know right away what gasket would leak only when on the side stand.

Its def not coolant leaking. There is no comparison between oil and coolant to me.

Originally Posted by mrchips
Are you shure it's not chain lube ?

I leave drops of chain lube wherever i go. The result of being a festideous chain cleaner & my over enthusiasm with kerosene, chain lube + the Scottoiler.
Unless there is a auto lubrication system from the gear box but, Iv'e never heard of such a thing. LOL

Originally Posted by Sprock
Chances are your clutch slave cylinder seal may be gonzo'd ..... ask me how I know this !

Leaks down the inside picking up "flung" chain lube as it goes and drip out right where you speak of.

I think you are right. There is a thick line of sludge going down about the location of my heel on the peg.

Whats it gonna take to fix this issue?

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
That looks like the water-pump to me. Time for a new gasket?

One thing to do when tracking leaks, get rid of the grunge.
Take a pressure-spray to it, then you can discriminate what/where
the problem really is (and the volume). A sheet of newsprint under it can
also help be sure of the leak pattern. Check directly above any spots
on the paper. You have to remove the fairing for this to be effective.

Hope this gives you an insight, Ern

Guess Ill get the grime rid of first and do another assessment in a few more rides.

Last edited by Sprock; 08-07-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think someone on here would know right away what gasket would leak only when on the side stand.

Its def not coolant leaking. There is no comparison between oil and coolant to me.
Well, your pic is of the water pump. Behind the water pump is the oil pump. Above the oil pump/water pump is the clutch slave. Find out where the oil is coming from and replace the seals in said part.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think someone on here would know right away what gasket would leak only when on the side stand

really ! well keep that line of motivation up and replies surely come in a right away manner !

I think you are right. There is a thick line of sludge going down about the location of my heel on the peg.

Pull the sprocket cover and see if the clutch slave cylinder is leaking .... you'll know
when you see it. If so you have to drain down the clutch line disconnect the slave
from the sprocket cover and clutch line .........go on ebay and get a seal kit and
replace ....... then everything back in reverse order

Should keep you busy for a bit.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sprock
I would think someone on here would know right away what gasket would leak only when on the side stand

really ! well keep that line of motivation up and replies surely come in a right away manner !

Pull the sprocket cover and see if the clutch slave cylinder is leaking .... you'll know
when you see it. If so you have to drain down the clutch line disconnect the slave
from the sprocket cover and clutch line .........go on ebay and get a seal kit and
replace ....... then everything back in reverse order

Should keep you busy for a bit.
Thanks for the heads up.
I wont tear into it immediately but, I want to be ready when the time comes.

I was not trying to be a d#ck. In theory, if its not leaking oil while the bike is standing straight up on the center stand surely some one would know what gasket MIGHT be just about the oil line in the casing of the engine that would leak when tipped to the left on the side stand.
I should bust out a engine diagram and look as well.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well for what it's worth I usually take the high level route first on leaks before jumping
to conclusions on major gaskets & seals etc letting go......... after all this is a
Hurricane we are talking about here ......... motor is generally considered tight , takes
lots of abuse and bullet proof

Anyhow let s see your answer relevant to the clutch slave being leaking or not !

The only reason I offered it up was because your issue with this is identical to one
I had back last fall......... in my case I was lucky to find a complete spank me new
clutch slave cylinder on ebay for chump change ......... the biggest pain was bleeding
out the clutch once installed ........ pain in the azz and it took a few trys too

Old 08-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tappet gasket I'd say

Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tappet gasket I'd say
entirely possible. I've actually seen this. Usually starts on the inside at the plug holes where you can't see it.... then works it's way out the weep hole and down the side of the motor. Drips right at the bottom of the water pump.
If you take the fairing off and shine a light down, you can usually pinpoint that one from the top. Just another possibility. lol...

Old 08-09-2011, 04:06 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now I have a new keyboard which has all the letters working- hehe
(teach me for having liquid too close to my keyboard)
My bike has the same problem - if you remove the left side main fairing and give the engine a good degrease, you'll probably find the leak is from the front left corner of the tappet cover gasket, just in front of the half-moon shape. Doesn't leak when the bike is upright on the paddock stand. Oil runs down exactly where you say the oil is leaking on yours. I checked all other places, and that's what I found (last Friday) so it's fresh in my mind.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mrchips
Are you shure it's not chain lube ?

I leave drops of chain lube wherever i go. The result of being a festideous chain cleaner & my over enthusiasm with kerosene, chain lube + the Scottoiler.
Which is why I use chain wax. Clean chain, clean wheel, clean swimgarm, 8000 mile on chain and only adjusted it 3 times!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ranchome
Which is why I use chain wax. Clean chain, clean wheel, clean swimgarm, 8000 mile on chain and only adjusted it 3 times!

Not Bad .... Wax is clean but i'm commuting 1500 km a month & can't be ar$ed waxing my chain every couple of weeks + i'm gettin some good chain milage with the scottoiler (21,000 km & only had to adjusted once).

Last edited by mrchips; 08-09-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: I does not drip oil on the center stand.