CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Hurricane SC21 Restrictions? Really need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurricane SC21 Restrictions? Really need help!

Hi!

I would love to have some help on this matter.
I bought CBR 1000f model sc 21, meaning its 1988 year model and known as hurricane in the us. Im from Finland Europe so im pretty shure that there are some kind of restrictions in this bike. Same ones as in bikes in sweden and germany.
It says it has 74kw of power in the registration. (Sorry for my bad english. Not shure if its called that). And i know it should have that 100kw. So its detuned to that 74kw.

-Where are these bikes usually restricted?
I have heard that there is something in the carburator intake?
-What size should those pipes be on 100kw version?
-If there is some site or forum that has something helpful on this matter i would really appreciate it if you let me know.
-Are those restrictions easy to find and fix? Is there just somekind of plug that i can pull of?

I know that someone has done this tuning so i would really appreciate your help.
If you can give me a walk through how to do this it would be the best.
But all the help needed!

Thanks and cheers! Have a great summer!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Default RE: Hurricane SC21 Restrictions? Really need help!

Somebody else mentioned on these forums about the intake between the carb and the engine actually decreasing in size resulting in lower power versus the same bike sold in other countries.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 PM

I did quite a bit of research on restrictors for the 1000f a month or so back because my bike was down on power, and the good money is on the restrictors being on the inlet side. Either the rubber manifolds between carbs and inlet port or between the airbox and the carbs or actually in the airbox itself. Apparently the restrictor is just made of rubber that can be carefully widened with a scalpel or similar sharp bladed tool. You will have to strip the carbs off to do this, but from experience I found this to be easy. I was told at the time that there might be restrictors in the exhaust system, but think that this is unlikely. Some trail bikes have a washer in the exhaust header, but I doubt that would be done to a 1000f. My power problem was unrelated to the above, but in checking, I also found that the air filter fitted to my 92 F had a blank on one side and was only pulling in air from one side of the airbox. I changed the filter to one that was open on both sides. Hope that helps.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:18 AM

The intake boots (rubbers) have a smaller diameter in the middle on restricted bikes in Europe, it’s just to carve themup and check that there are #122 main jets in the carbs. There could not be many bikes that are not de-restricted though since this was well know at the time they where restricted.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 AM

As said above.... Try to match the intake rubbers to the carbs and cylinderhead so the parts together makes a smooth passage for the air/fuel mix.
I thought all CBR1000 were de-restricted already since it is so easy to do by yourself.
I had to redo it on my bike since the earlier owner did not make it good (probably with a bad knife?)and left a lot of rubber left.
Use a small grinding machine like Dremel.
No other restrictions were made in scandinavia.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:49 AM

How much difference does it make when you remove the restrictions? My bike was imported from the UK is it possible for it to be restricted? I have a 92 cbr 1000f

Old 07-10-2007, 05:47 AM

If I remember correctly: a lot.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:50 AM

From factoryCBR1000F had 132bhp (97kW). Restrictions were made in some countries. In scandinavia it was sold as 100bhp (74kW) and in other countries there were other limitations. If Ido not remember wrong UK had 125bhp (92kW)limit, but I am not sure.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 AM

Thank you!!! I will look in too it!! I had my bike on the dyno and it only push out a 100hp!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 07:48 AM

Then you will feel the difference......

Quick Reply: Hurricane SC21 Restrictions? Really need help!