CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Humming noise when cornering...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming noise when cornering...

Hello

I have got the problem that I have been tracing for 3 years now. First things first... at some point she started to make noise when cornering or just when you leant the bike while riding in a waving fashion.

The sound resembled the one produced by a worn wheel bearing so they were the first thing I addressed. I bought new bearings for the front and the rear wheel including the rear sprocket bearing. To my surprise... no improvement....

It was in the first year.. I kept riding whereas at some point I inspected the tyres and I noticed the rear one cupping. It did stop my further research on the matter until now. However, after the discovery of the abused tyre I dismantled the rear swing arm, looked at the bearings there - they were sound, and looked at the rear shock - which had never caused me any trouble and there I replaced the bottom shock bushing (it didn't look good) and ordered new shock bolts from honda. I just thought it might have been the bushing that caused the cupping.. anyway... it was in the second year, I kept riding the old tyre...

And this year, and as there were still more things to address, I put her aside and my riding season came a bit later. I bought new tyres, new sprockets and a new chain. So it seems every bit of the drive train is in perfect order now....

I took her on the road and.... to hell... it humms when cornering, first I thought I would give the tyres some time to break in, but I did 300kms now and no improvement. I am starting to think, some engine component whines when the bike is leant?

I am out of ideas for now

PS. other than the noise she rides perfectly...

Last edited by bc30se; 05-06-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the noise change with a brake application? On an older bike I had I could hear the pads against the drilled disc change sound thru a turn. Wheel flex or fork flex coming into play as force changed. It wasn't a hum but rather just the pad skipping across the surface.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thoughts too. On my F2 I could hear a whirr from the front on harder braking so guessing brakes as well.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:42 PM

this is not a brake related noise... brakes make a different sound that I can easily tell apart... and... no braking in the situations described..

thanks...

Old 05-08-2015, 01:03 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two things come to mind..............
1 The front steering head bearings could be worn and causing noise when you corner....
2 Front shocks - is the oil level the same in both sides ?

Do you have any shuddering from the brakes when braking GENTLY - I did - had the bearings checked - they SAID the bearings were fine. THEY WEREN'T. Damned idiots nearly killed me when a bearing collapsed on me at high speed.
It's amazing how quickly you can destroy a tyre when the bearings are suspect............

Old 05-08-2015, 01:30 AM

1. Front head bearings are new and properly tightened, the bike is as stable as it can be...
2. The oil level is the equal, the front fork was inspected, the springs are in the upper service limit, no signs of any wear in the front suspension.

I don't get any shuddering, the bike is a pleasure to ride...

thanks

Last edited by bc30se; 05-08-2015 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:19 AM

Here's a wild thought I had, perhaps its engine noise reflecting off the ground. You can hear it better since you are closer to the ground? How far are you leaning when the noise is heard? Is it during all cornering or just heavier?

Old 05-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jlaz has a good point. It might also be a part of the fairing or some part that shifts and rubs or vibrates when the bike is leaned.

Or it could just be the bike humming with pleasure through the curves.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:20 AM

You know that I am a bit confused so I appreciate any odd idea because I checked all that was to be checked....

I don't know, I will take it for a ride with a go pro, perhaps I will be able to record it so you can hear a bit...

I have asked several people about the noise concluding it is a normal behaviour of this bike, but they say theirs OK... I can't remember having this noise just after buying but perhaps it was already there....

Last edited by bc30se; 05-11-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

When I corner to the right (Australia so left hand side of the road) and we have a centre concrete barrier, the rear tyre hums like a worn rear bearing and the sound is reflected clearly.

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: Humming noise when cornering...