CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

How will you rate a 1000f?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How will you rate a 1000f?

compared to all cbr models and also newest? is it to far behind?... or not?

Old 11-08-2007, 01:33 AM
dad
Default RE: How will you rate a 1000f?

It's stillmy favorite street bike. In the mountains for a 500+ mile twisty day ride or grinding out the miles on the interstate on a cross-country ride, it's my choice of bike.

I got my first one in about 2000 knowing very little about them, a 1990 with only 950 miles on it. Bought because it was virtually a new bike having been stored in the original owner's basement for about 8 1/2 years. I figured it would be a decent bike for the small money given. I had no idea how much I'd learn to love that thing. I rode it to 122,000 miles in about five years finally crashing it hard on one of my regular 550 mile day rides in the mountain twisties. I even track rode the thing on occasion, as late as 90,000 miles on it. I got my second one last summer, the identical bike right down to the paint scheme, another '90 with only 15,000 miles on it. Travelled to Burlington VTfrom Pittsburgh Pa for this one.

For some background, I'm embarking on my 39th year of riding this year. Somewhere in the 3/4 million accumulated mile range on every kind of street bike going. Harley "K" model to start, many others between including standards,choppers, and Gold Wings. In the most recent few years I have become a full timerace track riding instructor, riding some of the latest stuff going and utilizing a Kawasaki 636 for my track only instructing bike (and occasionally an EX-500). I absolutely love the track performance of the 636, it's a hot rod for sure,but I still go back to the old CBR-1000F for my street ride of choice. Best all around bike for my money.

BTW, it's the '90 or '91 that are my favorite. Bone stock but for some minor front end work for a proper sag and front end braking/bottoming resistance. First year for radial tires and cartridge front ends but before the linked brakes. And even the later linked brakes would be nice if I didn'tinsist onriding the thing like it was the latest super sport on occasion, too often,instead of the sport tourer that it is so recognized as. Obviously, JMO.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:30 AM

Well its hardly cutting edge, it's big and heavy, not super economical, can be a handful to ride buuuuuuutttttttttttt it's comfy, powerful, timeless design, low maintenence and just nice to ride
I've owned a 1200 Bandit, a R1150GS Adventurer, a XJR1300SP, 1996 ZZR1100, RGV250, Triumph Trophy 1200, GSX1400, a Valkyrie and a 1998 Blackbird.

I love my CBR the most and I don't think I'll ever sell it

Old 11-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Noe

I have been looking a long time for a future replacement for my cane, comparing it with a lot of newer kit counting CBR1100, ZZR1200, BMWK1200S, FJR1300 and VFR800F and almost every time I test drive one of the machines that in different bikes may be faster, more comfy, more agile and so on, I often come to the conclution that one of the most perfect compromisis in the biking world if you wish to have a big sporty street bike, is the CBR1000F.

I would love to have a CBR1100, but it's not comfy enough. A VFR800 is a great bike with a great engine, buuut it's lacking power...
ZZR1200: A really awesome andreally powerfull bike, and good comfort to,but not Honda build quality and reliabilety...

Then there is the Beemer. huge powerban, great comfort. It's just so effecient that it becomes boring! No personality what so ever!!! And F******* expensive

FJR1300: Super comfy, super fast, but a touch to "granddad" for my age, maybe in 5-10 years.......

So the real compromise here is.........Tadaaaaa: CBR1000F! Good comfort, enough power, good looks and decent manoeuverability. It may not be a killer on the smaller roads but with a good driver it willkeep up with a lot of the other bikes mentioned here.

So how would I rate the CBR1000F? ................................Very high!

But if Honda would make a VFR1000F with 125+ bhp, then maybe......

Old 11-08-2007, 01:06 PM
jb

thing i dont like about mine, is its to heavy, wont wheelie easliy, heavy on gas(town miliage) , weak charge system(common on all)annnndd it looks like a jellyfish!!! i want to upgrade to an R6 tbh

Old 11-08-2007, 05:09 PM

I love mine, would never sell it as it is the most reliable bike that I have ever owned. Even if newer bikes come into the garage she will always be there. What a great bike. Noe, vfr1000 due out maybe within 12 months. There was a bit in MCN a while back saying that they were considering a bigger power plant.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Noe

I have been looking a long time for a future replacement for my cane, comparing it with a lot of newer kit counting CBR1100, ZZR1200, BMWK1200S, FJR1300 and VFR800F and almost every time I test drive one of the machines that in different bikes may be faster, more comfy, more agile and so on, I often come to the conclution that one of the most perfect compromisis in the biking world if you wish to have a big sporty street bike, is the CBR1000F.

I would love to have a CBR1100, but it's not comfy enough. A VFR800 is a great bike with a great engine, buuut it's lacking power...
ZZR1200: A really awesome andreally powerfull bike, and good comfort to,but not Honda build quality and reliabilety...

Then there is the Beemer. huge powerban, great comfort. It's just so effecient that it becomes boring! No personality what so ever!!! And F******* expensive

FJR1300: Super comfy, super fast, but a touch to "granddad" for my age, maybe in 5-10 years.......

So the real compromise here is.........Tadaaaaa: CBR1000F! Good comfort, enough power, good looks and decent manoeuverability. It may not be a killer on the smaller roads but with a good driver it willkeep up with a lot of the other bikes mentioned here.

So how would I rate the CBR1000F? ................................Very high!

But if Honda would make a VFR1000F with 125+ bhp, then maybe......
^^^^^^^^^
Wot he said exactly

The problem with the newer bikes is that compared to the trade-in I'd get on the CBR I'd be paying $10-$12k (AUD) extra for a new bike. The amount of extra power or comfort etc is justifyable.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 AM

i was riding in my wifes car the other night passed a 96 just like mine and i thought to myself thats a sharp looking bike , from the front it has that mean nasty drag looking bike compaired to all the newer bikes out ,it's hard to figure out what they are till you see the side of them but not the Hurricanes, i can spot them from afar at a traffic light. kd

Old 11-09-2007, 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: jb

thing i dont like about mine, is its to heavy, wont wheelie easliy,
Weird reason to not like it, wheelies don't do bikes any good.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:10 PM
jb

dont get me wrong im not a wheelies freck but i do enjoy the buzz of the front wheel just letting you know you've got a few horse's there to control even though i agree the bike is pretty damn fast and a good topend

Quick Reply: How will you rate a 1000f?