CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

HOW TO: Plastic Speedo Gear Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO: Plastic Speedo Gear Replacement

Same as before, holder spot for a write up on replacing the plastic speedo nut that fails about every 15-20k miles.

This is a step by step display of how to replace your speedometer nut on a 93-96 CBR1000F. This is actually an easy job to do. This is going to show as much as possible for those who don't know what they are doing. For those that do, why are you still reading this??

You can do several other things while doing this job as well, depending on how mechanically inclined you are (I'll talk about this at the end).

Stuff you'll need:
1) Tools to remove the left side fairing
2) 10mm wrench
2) 8mm socket with a minimun 2" extension
3) 12mm wrench or socket
4) The part itself:

FIRST STEP: Remove the LEFT SIDE FAIRING

Go from this:

To this:

In under 3 minutes

STEP TWO: Locate the Countershaft Sprocket Cover (Front Sprocket)

You should also remove the left foot kick plate (two 5mm hex bolts).

STEP THREE: Remove the Shifter Mechanism

Once you unbolt the 10mm and 12mm bolts give both ends a tug, and the whole assembly should come off. Becareful though, the 12mm bolt has a thin washer on the end that can easily slide off and get lost. Once you get it off, set it aside and proceed to...

STEP FOUR: Unbolt and Remove Cover
This is a 2 part step...
First unscrew and remove the speedometer cable (upper box):

Then unbolt the cover:

STEP FIVE: Remove the Sprocket Cover

Go ahead and pull that plastic nut off. Chance are, if it's not worn on the side that contacts the sprocket, it's the side that goes into the speedometer cable thats stripped. This is also a good time to clean out some of the heavier crud that has built up over time.

To put the new nut on, you may need to work it into the groove, then push really hard until it seats. Don't push so hard that something on the cover breaks, as there are no replaceable parts on it, you have to buy a new cover (approx. $100).

Once thats done, put the cover back on and lightly screw down the bolts. If you have a centerstand or a rear stand, put it down (or up) so that the rear wheel if moveable. Spin the rear wheel a couple of times while slowly bolting down the cover. This will help make sure the speedo nut is properly seated on the front sprocket bolt. Tighten down everything, reinstall the speedometer cable, put the shifter back on and your done.

About the shifter: there is a punch mark on the collared shaft that is supposed to match with a punch mark on the shifter for alignment purposes.

When I get around to it, I'll talk about the other stuff that can be done while down here. For now, off to work [:@]

Old 04-13-2007, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts
Default RE: HOW TO: Plastic Speedo Gear Replacement

Nice write up, well done. Looks like a little degreaser and elbow grease are in order.[]

Old 04-13-2007, 08:11 AM

Would have been nice if this write up was done about a year ago It took me 3 nights to fix mine when it stopped working.

I removed the masterlink chain, then degreased everything around the front sprocket and swingarm. Scooped out spoonfulls of old chain lube from the rubber on the swingarm and the housing. Also found chunks of roller bearings, none were broken so I assume the bearing was replaced but not bothered to clean it out.

I had a bit of trouble with getting the clutch push rod to do the right thing, but eventually it went back in.

Great effort on the writeup and photos.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:36 AM

Has any of you guys noticed that the engine sproket has some play? I once dismounted the cover, cleaned all around and i noticed that the chain engine sproket has some play. Took it appart to check it out evrything was in order (by the manual) torques, washers etc. Still its the firs bike that has this thing. Is it normal?

Old 04-15-2007, 10:22 AM

Yeah mine has play as well.

But if it aint broke I am not going to fix it.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:10 AM
dad

They all have play. The bolt is only to keep it in place, not fall off the shaft. I have a Kawasaki that only uses a snap ring.

If they actually tightened the bolt against the sprocket it would tend to back the bolt off from the minimal slipping under the bolt head caused by the minor play in the splines. The only other choice would be a press fit. That would suck to change.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:26 PM

When my bike was at 6999.9 mi the odometer stopped but the trip set meter kept working (and the so did the speedometer).

About 1500 mi later My speedo starting going crazy on a ride and ended up stopping all together. The trip set failed at this point as well.
Question is...are the two issues seperate? They run off one single cable (which I have a new one ready to go).
I'm thinking in my mind that I have two problems here...
1) internal problem with speedometer assembly affecting odometer
2) possibly the plastic speedo nut failed
I've been trying to find a used speedometer assembly but they are pricey...
Any advise? Anyone have a speedometer assembly for sale?
Dan.Reynolds@AlaskaAir.com

Old 07-11-2007, 08:31 PM

Sounds like a gear on the inside of the odometer let go and I don't know of any way to fix it. Might want to call these people http://www.speedometerservices.com/ and see if they can help you out. Also, do a google search for motorcycle speedometer repair