CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

HIGH SPEED TURN OFF ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HIGH SPEED TURN OFF ?

Have you opened and cleaned the carbs? If that hasn't been done for several years it could be a good time now. Check that all passages are open and that the small spring loaded pins on float needles are not stuck. They where on mine bike and I also had kind of a rev-limiter at about 6 k rpm. There is also a small nylon filter mesh behind each float valve seat that can be clogged. Before assembly the carbs, dont forget to check and set the float levels. Whan all this is done, and it's not difficult at all, you should not need to worry about carbs function for several years as long as the carbs are drained during prolonged storage. I removed the small fuel filters inside carbs meantioned above and mounted an in-line filter on the fuel hose so any debris from the tank is trapped before hitting the carbs.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: R1000

Have you opened and cleaned the carbs? If that hasn't been done for several years it could be a good time now. Check that all passages are open and that the small spring loaded pins on float needles are not stuck. They where on mine bike and I also had kind of a rev-limiter at about 6 k rpm. There is also a small nylon filter mesh behind each float valve seat that can be clogged. Before assembly the carbs, dont forget to check and set the float levels. Whan all this is done, and it's not difficult at all, you should not need to worry about carbs function for several years as long as the carbs are drained during prolonged storage. I removed the small fuel filters inside carbs meantioned above and mounted an in-line filter on the fuel hose so any debris from the tank is trapped before hitting the carbs.
Are there specific steps on removing the carbs to clean them out?I would like to try it myself ,and not spend the big $$bringing her in. I currently cannot get the bike to start, I believe my carbs are clogged asI haven't driven her in a long time? thanks

Old 06-23-2007, 02:41 AM

[[/quote]
Are there specific steps on removing the carbs to clean them out?I would like to try it myself ,and not spend the big $$bringing her in. I currently cannot get the bike to start, I believe my carbs are clogged asI haven't driven her in a long time? thanks
[/quote]

How long has it been since you've ridden, and how hard are you trying to get the bike to start, i.e. are you using the bikes battery to try to start it?

Old 06-23-2007, 02:50 AM

If the bike doesn't even start it seems to be something else than clogged carbs. Cleaning them is a rather straightforward process though. Remove the seat, side panels and the fuel tank.Unscrew the four connections to the air box and pull it somewhat rearward.Unscrew the clamps on the intake rubbers, the choke and the fuel wires. Then you pull back the carbs. The carbs may sit hard on old rubbers but they will loose if prying them back by a long screwdriver. There may be other small parts to remove to, but you will see when you are working, it is not difficult.

Remove the top of carbs and pull out the throttle assembly’s. Remove the fuel bowls at carb bottoms. Remove the jets, the floats, and the float valves and float seats. Remove the pilot jets. Then you are ready to use carb cleaning spray and blow all passages clean.

Don’t forget to check and set the float level when assembling. The vacuum diaphragms can be difficult to fit at assembly. Put some grease in the grooves on carbs and they will stay until the top cover is in place.

It is more than a year since I did this, I may have forgotten some details but the process is mainly as describedabove and simple.

If the bike doesn’t start at all, you may need to check the pulse generator resistance, the valve clearances, change plugs etc.

It could also be as simple that there is no remaning fuel in the carbs ifthe bike has not been used for long.It can take a minute for the bowls to fill by thevacuum controlled fuel valve (pet-****, dont know the right term..)Some start-sprayto air inlets will also help.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the description. I'm still debating if I should just bring it to the shop to get it done right and actually have some type of warranty in case something goes not according to plan. Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:29 PM

well, i got my bike to start but it will not idle if i turn off the choke, plus it's verry choppy when i rode around my block (very slow just to see if the carbs would smooth out, which they didn't. soon as i took off the choke, it dies.
Would cleaning the carbs cure this issue? or is it something worse? thanks!

Old 06-23-2007, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: pacojoseph
How long has it been since you've ridden, and how hard are you trying to get the bike to start, i.e. are you using the bikes battery to try to start it?
pacojoseph,
It's been since last summer when I replaced my fuel and plugs when the same issue as now came up. (but i didn't have the time to pursue it further -two little girls keeping me busy, lol.)
I had some time this morning and got her to start without the battery (i keep it ona trickle charger that's timed for 4 hours per day if needed.) but, i cannot keep an idle, soon as choke is off, the bike dies. Any ideas? thanks again --phil

Old 06-23-2007, 03:40 PM

It doesn't sound to be a major (expensive)problem since the problem came after storage if I understood you correct. It may even help to put in some fresh fuel and a good portion of carb cleaner. If that doesnt help, I would remove the carbs and clean them. Check the plugs to before digging in the carbs. If ther is a lot of real old fuel in the tank it should med drained aslo.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: R1000

It doesn't sound to be a major (expensive)problem since the problem came after storage if I understood you correct. It may even help to put in some fresh fuel and a good portion of carb cleaner. If that doesnt help, I would remove the carbs and clean them. Check the plugs to before digging in the carbs. If ther is a lot of real old fuel in the tank it should med drained aslo.
r1000, thanks again for your suggestions, i replaced the plugs last summer and they have no mileage on them as i couldn't keep an idle just like now.
If i let the bike idle with the choke on, i have cleaner in the fuel, would that clean the idle portion of the carbs? - again, thanks

Old 06-23-2007, 07:36 PM

Yes, I would try that. Carb cleaners works best when they are not needed though...If it is a massive carb clogging you need to pull the carbs andclean them by brushes andcleaning spray or pressure air.

Quick Reply: HIGH SPEED TURN OFF ?