CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help needed, cane running like poopie

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed, cane running like poopie

Hello all again,
well first time cane owner, first street bike on top of that. Ive posted a few times before on some issues I was having with the bike. Now I think its down to, repair before its going to run again. I had a few good rides out of it. ive posted about a rattle. which the conclusion seems to maybe be a CCT, maybe the alt chain tensioner............

On my last ride the bike was running rough in low rpms. died on me at a few stop signs. putts a tad after leaving a stop. Also a couple times the bike wouldnt let me shift down to first after stopping. What is also odd is if the bike is not running and in gear, if I engage the clutch it will not release the gear til I push it (the bike) back and forth a few times, is that because of the hydralic clutch? or is that sign of a problem? also on the last ride before I garaged it I barely made it home, continued to lose power, it seemed the more throttle I tried giving the bike, the more it wanted to give out (lose power). luckily I cruised it home and havent done anything sense. It also seemed the the drive chain/sprocket got pretty noisy on my ride home, and not forgetting to mention riding in low rpms, 1st gear, the bike jumps/chugs as if I were a 15yr teenager learning to drive a manual transmission and leaving a stop sign? can you picture that? hehe. I was thinking maybe a bad clutch? gear box? carbs need sync'd? Cant afford a huge mechanic bill, would like to fix the problem myself but really dont know where to start. any ideas? help a fellow rider! thanks!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Help needed, cane running like poopie

Hi Ebinz Firstly, not good news I think your regulator/rectifier or battery is fried. Have a look on previous posts on this issue, of which there are many.
With the older bikes, sometimes at a stop it's necessary to let the clutch out slightly to get the bike to change gear, something which won't generally happen if the bike's moving....Just get used to shifting while on the move. My bike does it too - soon get used to it. Hondas (older ones) do that....

Also have a look at your chain - possibly needs oil......

Old 05-07-2008, 12:35 AM

I don't think it's RR or battery. If either of those were bad, after stalling at a stop sign, you wouldn't be able to restart your bike. Maybe low speed jet issues.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Paco may well be right - best way to see if the battery's a problem is use a multitester on it, with ignition off - around 12.4 V Start the bike and rev around 3000 should have around 14.5 -15.5 V at the battery. If that's OK, then jetting/fuel delivery could well be a problem. When did you last check/change your plugs ?
Could even be the vacuum fuel unit on the petcock is clogged......

Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 AM

When I first got mine it ran similar to how you are describing yours. Bad low down, prone to cutting at lights etc.

My other problem was that it was a bi#ch to start first thing with the choke ( would start but then I needed to feather the throttle to get it to run properly for first minute or two )

Mine was a combination of three things,

1. The choke was not shutting off properly ( even though the lever was pushed back completely ) - this was a quick adjustment at the carb end of the cable.

2. The mixtures on the carbs were completely messed up ( re-set them to factory settings & fine tuned using a gunson carbtune )

3.The air filter was not in the best condition ( I changed to a K&N but a clean standard one would have helped )

The CBR1000F seems to be overfueled out of the factory and anything that adds more fuel makes it worse.

My final tweak was a set of NGK irridium plugs.

Bike runs really well now. clean pick up, stable tick over and best of all I can get up to 190 milesbefore reserve !

Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 AM

How long have you had the bike and how long was it sitting before you got it?

I find the gears hard to change when stopped, I mostly have to use the clutch to move things between gear changes, or rock the bike if the engine is off. that not too unually for a bike.

I would be dumpping the fuel from the bowls, been told I should do this on occasion.
Also check/clean/replace the air filter.

I reckon you have other problems, mainly cabbies. there also a check procudure for the coils/plugs in the manual - that will cost you nothing but maybe a few hours (30mins if you done it before)

Old 05-07-2008, 11:59 AM

Thanks for all the replies,
MarkR, Ive had the bike about 2-3weeks. rode 130miles one day, about 267miles another day, then maybe 60-70miles on another trip. bike did fine on the first couple trips, maybe because of just being highway miles? through town is where I can really tell something is wrong, I guess because all the of the stop and go traffic, also having an issue with the bike heating up through town. I hear my fan kicking on & off, maybe a radiator flush will do the trick. As for how long was the bike sitting before I took ownership, I really dont know. Dude had it garaged probly over the winter, and he said he was riding it last season.

Shadow1, I remember the guy told me it was a new battery in the bike. as for the regulator/rectifier I have no idea, I'll get my multimeter out and run it across the battery and see what the voltage is like.

Dean0, thanks for the advise. I think thats where I plan on starting my repair. I havent checked the plugs etc.

I'll get on it and give an update asap. thanks again!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:21 PM

Dump the fuel and start fresh. my bike gets hot in stop start traffic easley, I think thats normal, but a radator flush is a good idea
check the air cleanner, and check the choke for normal operation, on mine, the first half of choke does nothing (if you lift the tank, you see the choke slider; can't remember if the tank has to come off or not)

Old 05-07-2008, 05:37 PM

I assume I have to remove the tank to pull the plugs & air cleaner? is there a valve on the tank to shut off the gas when I remove it?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 PM

No, the air filter (sorry, not air cleaner) is on the right of the bike when sitting on it.
remove the right external cover near the seat, (the lower screw is half a anticlockwise turn; then the top right pulls out of the rubber gromet, then it slide forwardand out -really simple)
there are 3 screws that hold the right Air filter cover on, remove the filter, if it's paper and dirty replace with a K&N
if it's K&N, buy the K&N clenning kit, clean and put it back.

The tank lifts like a car bonnet, two bolts at the head of the tank must be removed, watch the tank if using a socket wrench (shouldn't be tight, doens't need to be)
lift then use the leg thing to hold the tank up, plug are right there.

fuel bowl drain screws are accessable, but you might have to look a little hard for then 2 on either side of the Cabbie set

(Note: there might be bolt that has to comes out holding part of the rhs Air Cleanner pipe thing on, but I don't remember)

My 94' is vacumn feed, so no fuel moves unless the engine in running (or trying to start)

Quick Reply: Help needed, cane running like poopie