CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Helmets...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rather now than too late, Joe.
Go and buy a proper fullface........
Put a mirrored faceshield on, and you too can look like Darth Vader !
Stay as pretty as you are
It's hard to smile through skin grafts- and no lips/teeth....................

Jokes aside, those helmets are NOT good IMO

Last edited by Shadow; 12-22-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing that has not been mentioned is that the helmet should be a tight fit. When you are trying it on and it feels good, go to the next size smaller. You should have a little trouble pulling it on for a while until the foam shapes to your head. Mine was not painful but annoying when I first got it. I believe there was a writeup where they said that a loose helmet could break your neck.

Also, the tighter the helmet, the less air flow you get around the ears and the quieter it is. HJC hamlets are a little noisy I have to admit but, I buy a clear and a mirrored shield each year. That's $45 compared to $120 and upwards for some brands.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 12-22-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
One thing that has not been mentioned is that the helmet should be a tight fit. When you are trying it on and it feels good, go to the next size smaller. You should a little trouble pulling it on for a while until the foam shapes to your head. Mine was not painful but annoying when I first got it. I believe there was a writeup where they said that a loose helmet could break your neck.

Also, the tighter the helmet, the less air flow you get around the ears and the quieter it is. HJC hamlets are a little noisy I have to admit but, I buy a clear and a mirrored shield each year. That's $45 compared to $120 and upwards for some brands.
This.

Ya, this is crucial. A helmet should pretty much be as tight as you can stand it to be. Unless you're a skeleton, if the cheek pads don't smoosh your cheeks together some, it's too big. If you can move the helmet around without moving the skin on your face, it's too big. If you can do up the strap, and then roll the helmet off your head by grabbing it at the bottom rear, it's too big.

Wear it around in the store for 10 miuntes to see how it fits. In general, if you aren't sure which of 2 sizes is the right one, get the smaller one.

Oh, and speaking of this, Scorpion liners are replaceable, so you can custom-fit your helmet. I wear an XL, but with XXL cheek pads. Perfect!

Old 12-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So your head is XL but you have small cheeks (you fill in the cheeks with bigger pads) is that what you're saying.

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder

Oh, and speaking of this, Scorpion liners are replaceable, so you can custom-fit your helmet. I wear an XL, but with XXL cheek pads. Perfect!

Old 12-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
In general, if you aren't sure which of 2 sizes is the right one, get the smaller one.
Exactly!

Old 12-22-2009, 02:51 PM

Do you measure 60/61cm?

Exactly!

Old 12-22-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Az1kF
Do you measure 60/61cm?
About 58/59cm. I don't know if I would buy a helmet on the internet if that is where you are going with this. I don't know if I would trust the sizing. They may be close to what I try on in a store but I want to know before buying. Usually I go into a store and start picking up helmets and start jamming them on my head. I pick one that is the best (tight) fit or move on. If I don't like the color, oh well. I would rather it fit correctly than worry about the color that I don't see unless I am staring in the mirrors.

My friend is **** like that. He has to have a matching helmet and jacket to go with the bike. It's a little to queer for me.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 PM

No, I just wanted to know your melon size since you said you have a Scorpion XL & according to Scorpion's web-site size chart I measure 61cm which measures their XL. I have not decided where I am going to purchase yet. I agree with you on having to match (queer).

About 58/59cm. I don't know if I would buy a helmet on the internet if that is where you are going with this. I don't know if I would trust the sizing. They may be close to what I try on in a store but I want to know before buying. Usually I go into a store and start picking up helmets and start jamming them on my head. I pick one that is the best (tight) fit or move on. If I don't like the color, oh well. I would rather it fit correctly than worry about the color that I don't see unless I am staring in the mirrors.

My friend is **** like that. He has to have a matching helmet and jacket to go with the bike. It's a little to queer for me.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Az1kF
So your head is XL but you have small cheeks (you fill in the cheeks with bigger pads) is that what you're saying.
The opposite. I have bigger cheeks, so I use the cheek pads form the larger sized helmet...but you get the idea.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Senior Member & can cook minute rice in 58sec

i wear glasses so its a flip front for me(personal choice,i can wear glasses on solid lids,but you tend to wreck the legs a bit)
i currently have a caberg justissimo gt in a large,gloss black.
double visor is handy, but a bit noisy being a flip.. i dislike earplugs so i put up with it for the past 3 years.
its still like it came out of the box,bar a few fly scratches.
the inside comes out to wash and it gets it every other ride
i just wash it in the sink with a little dove hand soap and its dry overnight.. and smelling nice.

lookin a new one for the january sales and considering

Airoh Mathisse RS
Airoh Miro
Vemar Jiano

Vemar CKQI google this one, its mad lookin

need to find a store to try them on,, then order online for best prices

Quick Reply: Helmets...