CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Helmet cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down Helmet cam

Three weeks ago I bought a helmet cam from Home Depot - didn't see a problem as they have 100% feedback. Didn't really concern myself with their return policy either.(they don't take returns, but article has a year's mnfrs guarantee)
I decided to buy one that is supposedly waterproof, as to just the basic model, as I figured this was a clever idea...........
(which maybe is a mistake)

The thing arrived today (and had to pay another $17 duty to Customs) so my total bill was 69.99 +28 postage + 17 customs= $114.99
THE DAMNED THING WORKED FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS (after battling with it for over half an hour) then the sound died, and five seconds later, the picture went. I tried EVERYTHING - new batteries, rebooting through the computer, checking the connection - EVERYTHING - NO BLOODY GO.

I've now written to Home Depot asking for the Mnfrs name so I can return the product to claim my year's guarantee) There's no brand name on the packaging either. Even the CD which came with it is full of fingerprints, and won't run- disgraceful - scratched too.

Problem is, if I wait too long, any option of a claim through Paypal is gone.

I'll keep you posted on this - I'm well annoyed right now
Scuse the rant

Old 10-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scuse the rant
No excuse necessary, shadow. I'd be pissed, too.
It sucks, and I wish you luck getting it straightened out.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rant excused Pete , I'd be mightily pi55e if that happened to me as well . I've been eyeing one of those helmet cams as well , seems like a simple solution to the mounting problem and gives a view of the surrounding countryside , not just the road straight ahead.

Even though the supplier says no returns , I'd send them a message through E-bay explaining what has happened , the condition the item was in and how you hate to leave negative feedback without contacting the supplier first .

Be polite and explain how disappointed you are , leave things open so they can get back to you , you never know , they may surprise you pleasantly.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:17 AM

Why I went with a known name. Hope ya get it straightened out!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:45 PM

That's a real p!sser. Politely first is always the go as the poor sod you first contact usually isn't the person responsible for your angst. It's a real downer when something you're waiting for turns out to be crap. Seems the best way to vid your ride is to hold a regular camera twixt your norks . Can't seem to bulk up though..and the surgery is too pricey.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. You've got Home Depot in South Africa. Next you'll be telling us you've got Walmart and McDonalds there too. One thing I've leaned is not to buy motorcycle gear from any of those places.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. You've got Home Depot in South Africa.
Haha!
I looked the guy up on Ebay. I THINK his name is the_best_buy_depot.
Shadow was probably just pretty pissed when he posted and called him "home depot"

Just a guess...

BTW,..I must say that South Africa produces some dam good oranges. I'm eating one right now...

Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 PM

You should try an Aussie Navel...and the oranges.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scandinavian navels are the ones for me it's all in the presentation

Old 10-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pacojoseph
Wow. You've got Home Depot in South Africa. Next you'll be telling us you've got Walmart and McDonalds there too. One thing I've leaned is not to buy motorcycle gear from any of those places.
No, camera came from New Jersey, USA !
McDonald yes, damned things - the box tastes better than the burgers YUK !
No Walmart, but possibly soon...........
Home depot - not knowing the difference between one and the other, probably not.
You'd be surprised what we have here, Paco - the deepest and best producing gold mines in the world, the best quality diamonds, and we make petrol from coal, too. We have large deposits of all sorts of minerals, like uranium...............we're not exactly your backwoods variety nation like those north of us. We have telephones too, but I must admit, watching the postman arrive in his loincloth with letters held in a forked stick to keep them clean is a bit strange.......................

And I thought it was an Oregon camera - apparently not - teach me to read the small print...................
The seller has replied - big apology - agreed to take the return and supply a new one, so semi-happy, except it'll take another 30 odd days before it arrives here. The quality of the pic for the time it ran was fine, light sensitive etc all OK.
Now we wait....................

Last edited by Shadow; 10-19-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Helmet cam