CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

GPS on the bike?

Old 05-30-2008, 06:48 AM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS on the bike?

Have a look at this:http://www.wayfinder.com/?id=8758&lang=en-UK
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: GPS on the bike?

Thanks Mikekop - I'll give it a try, and let you know how effective it is in Darkest Africa ! he he

Old 05-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a smaller roadmate gps. I was thinking about mounting it to the old girl. Not sure how, yet.

That looks like a neat little setup. Not a bad price, either.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:08 AM

I use a Nokia e61i (work supplied) with a Scala rider fm with the phone currently in my tank bag map pocket.

It is superb - but I am going to order the RAM aquabox pictured in that link - but with a mount that sits in the cetner of the bars as apposed to the end -- I'll find a link.....

Old 05-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Old 05-30-2008, 11:42 AM
October 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Thanks Mikekop - I'll give it a try, and let you know how effective it is in Darkest Africa ! he he
Actually, there is map coverage over Southern Africa in Wayfinder Navigator! I have no idea of your Cell Phone nets, but in case you have bad reception, you could always try the Maps Preloaded software.

However, the main reason I posted the link is that YOURS TRULY, Mikekop, yes, me! is the one being referred to in the article on Wayfinder homepage, and the pics is on my bike. But I guess it's too dark in Africa for You to see that, Shadow1. Or maybe it's because you have your head under your arm? I thought it would be fun for the Hurricaners here to see their kind of bike featured in an article about Hitech products?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 PM

Hey cool - I COMPLETELY MISSED that it was you lol

how do you find the aquabox ? - is there any weirdness with having mounted at the end of the bar - Like vibration or handling probs?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:30 PM
October 2009 ROTM

Yeah, I thought people would see that, guess not.
I've been using GPS navigation in my cell phone for almost 3 years now, and been wondering about putting it on my bike, since I think dedicated bike navigators are too expensive. I saw an add for R.A.M mounts in a swedish Bike magazine, and started browsing their online catalog, where I found it. Didn't come around to order it until I got my SonyEricsson P1i, which is a "smartphone" with touchscreen, and my Bluetooth handsfree device with in-ear plugs, which was the go-signal, since I have tried with cable-handsfree, which was too much fuzz. Yesterday I installed an 12V power outlet on the bike, so now it's a go!
No, no problemo at all with where it's located, even done a wheelie with it on!

Old 05-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, steady Mikekop....we're not all like chickens, sleeping with heads under the wings, y'know... Just for info, I've been running a Garmin GPS for a few years now, but I feel it's a bit big for the bike. Map coverage is excellent, though. I have an older 6600 Nokia which does all I need it to, and we'll see how the Wayfarer system works when I get it all set up. Screen is big enough, and the hands free kit should do the job fine.Price is right, too.
I've just received a waterproof power outlet, which I'm wondering where to fit ?
And yes, at least I knew it was you - had to be, he he Sleeping, Harry T ?.....[&:]
Thanks Mikekop, good interesting stuff.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:41 PM
October 2009 ROTM

So, are you gonna try it, Shadow? Do you have a Bluetooth GPS dongle, or are you buying one?
If you give me a couple of hours, I'll post some pics on how I installed the 12V outlet.

Search this Thread