CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Got carbs?????? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/got-carbs-39912/)

Chuck Norris 05-22-2007 10:41 PM

Got carbs??????

I finally decided to tear my carbs apart to clean them.(definetly not a hard task). My bike finally had a fit and I had to trailer it home. Got it home started, and rode fine... Damn floats sticking. Anyways... I pull the bowls off... no.2 is dry. I inspect it before I tear it apart. The casting that holds my float pin has fell off. It's sitting in the bowl. Now here's my options as I look at it... 1.) get another set of carbs. and make one good set out of them. or 2.)JB weld the tab back on and re-drill it for the pin.
Does anyone have any advice on the JB weld idea. I used to work at an engine remanufacturer. They used JB weld for anything. Oh, and if anyone has some extra carbs lying around I'd be interested.

honda502 05-23-2007 12:14 AM

RE: Got carbs??????

I've got a set of carbs laying around for that. I could let em go for $60 plus shipping (that's what I paid for them, didn't end up needing them). They are stripped down because I was thinking about rebuilding them and selling them, but I have all the parts. Let me know if you are interested and PM a zip code so I can work up shipping through UPS. USPS sucks and I won't use them.

Trips 05-23-2007 02:40 AM

Go for the 2nd hand carbs option. Try and get ones for your model range.

If above is not suitable there is usually a set on Ebay.

Chuck Norris 05-24-2007 12:15 AM

I'm looking at getting some carbs. "TRIPS": I shouldn't need to worry about model years. Right... All the carbs were the same. They just had different jetting (right?). If that's the case I'll just re-use my jets. On a different note.... When I was pulling my bike apart I ran across a label stating: "This bike has been adjusted by honda to operate at high altitudes." Does this mean my jetting is different than stock? It has 135 main jets in it now.

honda502 05-24-2007 01:12 AM

135 Mains? Damn. Mine has that sticker and I had 120 mains. I put 118 mains in it with a jet kit. That is weird. Mine is an 88.

Trips 05-24-2007 02:25 AM

I dont have the manual in front of me but there are a few different models of Keihin Carbs used. I'll look it up when I get home.

But since you have to buy carbs anyway why not lash out and got for a set of flatslides. ;)

Latsky 05-25-2007 09:59 AM

I think that would work much better!!!

Chuck Norris 05-26-2007 02:03 AM

Well. I have decided to try the "fix" idea. I got some stuff by versachem. It is a 4 minute set time epoxy made specifically for bonding metal to metal. And it's chemically resistant when fully cured. I only decided to try it because.. well... I could. I guess.Plus I've got to save money for a new drumset.
Iput it allback together after work. And went for a ride. 175 miles later still running like a champ.I'm going to keep tabs on it. If this works, I'll have proof that it does.
In reply to the jets... Yeah that is a big difference in jetting. Do the factory jets say factory on them? (mine do) Also... The difference in jet numbers might be the difference between manufacturers. I've heard dyno-jet's numbers are different for the same size jet as stock.
And.. as for the flatslide carbs. What ones fit? Is there any close-to-direct-replacments for the vaccum slide carbs? I couldn't imagine the low-end power response with flat-slides on this bike.:eek: It'd be scary.