CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

good 1st bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: good 1st bike?

the way most hydraulic clutches work is that pressure in the system (from you pulling the handle/stepping on the clutch) applies pressure against the clutch springs, giving slack for the disc(s) to disengage.. Air in the system will cause cushiness, and if anything, will cause the clutch to not disengage... unless there's some *really* strange system on the CBR, this should still be true

Old 04-26-2006, 04:58 AM

No question about it anymore, the clutch slipped on 6:th gear at 7k even with normal take-over load this morning. I begin to wonder if I'll get the new parts before the clutch is totally lost, and have to stay light on the throttle until it is replaced.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:12 AM
dad

If it'll ever slip it'll be at the torque peak. 7K is very near the torque peak. Makes sense.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:44 AM

Ok. Clutch plates shouldn't be destroyed like in one instant moment, so let's hope you can still ride it until you get those new parts.

If I remember right, your brake fluids were in pretty bad shape and needed to be replaced? So from that view it's not impossible that clutch fluids could need replacement too. But just now this is still just guessing what is causing that slipping. I'm now more than ever waiting to hear how worn your current clutch plates are, hoping it will solve this mystery.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:05 AM

Yes I must change the clutch fluid, it is not better than the bad brake fluid which was sorted out by hints from this site. But I almost refuse to see any reason at all that old clutch fluid would cause clutch slipping, concidering the fluid is not under preassure when the clutch slips. Furthermore, the clutch fluid is probably as good or bad as it is independent of if the engine transmission temperature. It is isolated from the engine oil and not even on the same side of the engine. I will however not take deadly poision on my homebreewed theory since Honda, according to mikekop, refer to air as a possible cause to clutch slippage.

I have another bike to use if I have to park this one for a while, but I try not to get to much miles on the other one for ordinary transportations.

Thanks Dad for convincing me about faulty clutch.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:13 AM
jim

Hi jreelo4

Yes a CBR1000F is a perfect bike for a beginner! it is fast enough for a beginner and it handles well with the right tires and suspension set up.
The dual braking system should keep you out of trouble and the riding position is very comfortable, please don’t pay any attention what people say about it being heavy they are comparing it to a modern 600 and the bike we are talking about is a 135BHP 10 year old beast.

I find that my bike is very forgiving and it gives me feedback whether it will comply with the angles/corner.

There is a inherent danger of riding any bike and yes the rider is more vunerable when they are short on experience but we all gota learn sometime, my advice is give yourself time and space when in traffic and watch what the other road users are doing and where they might go and note if they have seen you, don’t wheele or brake hard mid corner or lean it to far in the wet.

Stay Safe

Jim

Old 04-27-2006, 09:51 PM

hint.. just assume NO ONE sees you, and that EVERYONE will turn into your lane when you are beside them...

i guess loud pipes can save lives!

Old 04-27-2006, 11:33 PM

Well, It is my first bike to own; but I drove a 100cc dirt bike when I was little then I started driving my dad's 82 cb750 custom. So I was used to something heavy. However this bike will run circles around dads. I won't dare follow my buddy into the curves with his 02 gsxr 600 though, but it hauls me and my girlfriend real well.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone here agree that a rider's size and weight should be considered when choosing a starter bike?
I'm 6'2" and 215lbs. I ride with a guy who has a '90 1000F (mine's a '95) and he's around 5'7" and 140lbs. There is a noticable difference in the way we handle our bikes. He can't back his up the incline of the driveway into the garage, and I can pull mine around with ease. (well, relative ease : )

Old 04-29-2006, 12:31 AM

yeah.. i think leg length is important there.. there's a small incline in the driveway at work, and it's a bit of a pain to back it out of.. but it's not horrid.. i'm 6' and 135 lbs

Quick Reply: good 1st bike?