CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Fuel tap is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tap is leaking

Ok, being the gung-ho that I am, I was trying to start my 93 CBR1000FL (its been down and out for a couple of months) but realised there was no fuel getting to the carbs. I disconnected the hose and turned the tap on. No petrol.

Without thinking, I proceeded to pull the tap apart (to look for the gunk causing the blockage) only to find that, with next to no force at all, the diaphragm and springs have separated and now when its put back together, it just sprays gas everywhere when I turn the tap on. Obviously, the seal is crap.

Since doing all of the above of course, I have since discovered some of the vacuum hoses on the carb weren't connected. (probably the cause of my no gas problem...)

So my question is: Howdo I reseat the rubber seals so itworks as designedagain?

Thanks for looking

Old 12-16-2008, 04:03 AM
Default RE: Fuel tap is leaking

Hi Stu,

Thats a curly one. I'd go to somewhere like ENZED and get a couple of new o rings and then clean and reassemble it.
I've attached a link to the Ron Ayres Microfiche page which has an exploded pic.

Hope that helps.

I did have a spare but it sold to a guy in Levin.

Cheers.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...roup/FUEL_TANK

Old 12-16-2008, 04:33 AM

Thanks Barry, its the cover set that has lost its sealing abilities. Hoping to be able to just reseal it somehow.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Yes, you're right on the vaccume hoses. If they're not connected, you get no fuel. As for the Cover-Set, for $27 it's not worth the time trying to fix it in my book. Just replace it and be done. You don't want to be a long way from home and have it suddenly either start leaking or not giving you any gas.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:45 PM

thanks guys. $27 from Ronayers is fine, if they actually shipped to where I live, but they don't (according to them anyway), so I pay $130 for a factory part ex Japandelivered inmaybe three to four weeks time...

So Baz, how do you getronayers to deliver to NZ? Have you used them in the past?

For the time being, I will have to try and repair, so looking for info on how to get it to reseat.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask one of the US members to have it sent to them, and then have it posted on..........
CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THIS ?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 PM

Hey Stu,

Na, I've never used them. I just use the microfiche to get part numbers.Getting stuff from the states has always been expensive.

I have got parts from GP Honda in Tauranga. They've wreaked a couple of your model. Priced well and give great service.

Plus I got an alt shaft from Victorian Motorcycle Wreakers in Melbourne. Their e-mail is vicwreck@iinet.net.au

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:44 AM

Dont worry about it guys, I've orderdthe cover-setex Japan. $116. Should be here in the new year.Happy to wait. I have a cage I can use...

Quick Reply: Fuel tap is leaking