CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Fuel pump elimination

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Elimination

I've got the same question but on a 89 Hurricane 1000. I took the relay off and jumped the black and the red/brown terminals and the pump runs fine when u turn on the ignition. The other two terminals are a blue/yellow and a yellow/blue which both run over to the coils. I can kinda see that if the coils weren't running the plugs those two wires would shut off the fuel even though the key was still on. I have the Honda shop manual but the schematic is really goofy. I guess I'm saying I haven't really got the good answer yet and could use some help also. I was also lost on how the fuel pressure is regulated once the bike is running. Does the fuel pump regulate itself? I'm lost. Help

I have a 1988 CBR Hurricane 1000. I've had it for twenty years. My question is if I can remove the fuel pump completely and just go gravity flow. I'm having fuel pump and that pesky relay troubles and I've heard that you can toss the whole kabootal in the trash. If anyone has seen r done this, let me know. I like simple. Thanks

I was told I could start here for some help. Sounds good to me. I've got a 1988 1000 hurricane. I've owned it for over twenty years. Someone tried to steel it from my shop but just ended up leaving it on the side of the road. They didn't a decent means of starting it (No keys) but they did mess up everything that used a key. This was eight years ago. The work for parts and labor at the dealer including tires was 2700.00. I told them to go ahead and do it, left them a g note and went fishing. I fish Sardines for a living and I told them I'd see them when I got back in two months. They didn't want to work on it and so I picked it up in pieces when I got back and put back in the shop. That was two years ago. I've taken the cooling and the carbs. Everything looks great. Amazingly it was clean. The carbs r back on and I wanted to put some fuel to her and hear her run before dumping new tires, wheel bearings and such. I rigged up a cooling system for garden hose hook up to flush out things. I can't get fuel in carbs. I tested the pump it works fine. So is it the relay that's not letting voltage. Can I gravity feed the carbs and eliminate the fuel pump like the new ones are set up? I have the Honda shop manual and it says almost nothing about this fuel pump and relay. That's my story. Help

Last edited by Sprock; 01-25-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Mores Dupes Moved and Merged
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So yes you can eliminate the pump - in my case I reversed the feed into the carbs
and fed the fuel into the carbs from the right side same way as Gen2 & Gen 3 bikes
have their carbs fed, trying to feed it from the left on a Gen 1 tends to make main
fuel line kink due to tight bends required.

Just good practice with gravity fed setups on a Gen 1 which unlike a Gen2/3 which
have vacuum operated petcocks , is to remember to turn off your fuel supply after
each ride if you don't a stuck or leaky carb float valve will flood your crankcase and
oil with whatever gas is in the tank.

I fitted and inline vacuum valve because invariably owning a few of these I'd always
forget to do this ! Link to Inline Vacuum Valve

We try to keep questions on a single topic in one single thread and in the main
forum section as the Saloon is generally for kinda off topic stuff and other BS

Welcome to the Forum, hope this helps ya out.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Default Fuel pump elimination.

Thanks for the info. I'll try this out then order that vacume valve. Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having said that if the carbs are gen 1carbs you'll need to make a vacuum port in
one of the mainfold inlets between the head and the carbs to use the pingel Vac Valve.

I have since put a Gen2 set of carbs on my 87 which already has the vac port incl.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:02 PM

You answered my next question before I asked it. I got my bike started on gravity feed. Next step is to pull the carbs off (again) and reverse the fuel line feed. Thanks again