CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Fuel Problems? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/fuel-problems-72296/)

Vizionary 07-01-2008 07:47 AM

Fuel Problems?

I have been searching the previous posts and gotten some very helpful information, however I'm still having trouble. Here's a list of what has been done so far (88 cbr 1000f hurricane):

New air filter, oil change, flush & fill brake fluid and clutch. The bike was running rough, but at least it ran. Once the maintenance was done it started really getting screwy. We calibrated the carbs...ran pretty good until it got wet a couple of weeks ago. I rode home in the rain and now if I can get it to turn over at all it won't stay running long enough to get it to the end of the block. Ignition relay was loose, we tghtened that. One of the previous posts recommended removing the fuel pump. Mine was making weird noises and didn't look like it was working right so we took that out last night. Amazingly, it ran great. We re-calibrated the carbs, and it sounded better than it had probably since I've had it.

Of course, it rained early this morning here in "sunny" Florida, but was clearing up as I left for work. The bike started, great. But I couldn't make it to the end of the block before it quit and wouldn't refire. I ended up having to push it home.

Help!!

TimBucTwo 07-01-2008 07:56 AM

RE: Fuel Problems?

How do you know if it is getting fuel? You can open a bowl drain screw and see if fuel runsout. You should have a steady flow to each carb.

Vizionary 07-01-2008 08:01 AM

It ran long enough to re-calibrate the carbs last night, and sounded great. If it wasn't getting fuel would it have started at all this morning? (I admittedly am flying by the seat of my pants here...not a lot of mechanical knowledge)

DragonCBR 07-01-2008 08:03 AM

Sounds like you need to change the spark plug wires... it they take humidity thecurrent will not get to the spark plugs.

hope this helps.

TimBucTwo 07-01-2008 08:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Dragon64

Sounds like you need to change the spark plug wires... it they take humidity thecurrent will not get to the spark plugs.

hope this helps.
If you know for sure that you are getting enough fuel, than I would have to agree with Dragon64. It is most likely one or the other.

In the past I have opened the hood of a car or pulled the tank on a bike and fired it up in a garage at night to look for arching in the spark wires. If it is running fine you can mist water in areas until you kill the engine. Wiggle the coil wires with it running to see if anything happens.

Shadow 07-01-2008 08:38 AM

If you removed the fuel pump, chances are it's getting enough gas by gravity to run at idle, but not when you "give it some gas" [X(]on accelleration. You may also have breather hose blockage on your tank, which could have caused the failure of your pump in the first place, making it work too hard.........?
The comments on wet coils may also have something to do with it....:)
My 2c worth.

Vizionary 07-01-2008 09:29 AM

How do you check for blockage in the breather hose? Would that cause the fuel pump to appear as though it's misfiring?

DragonCBR 07-01-2008 10:01 AM

Do you have teh problems only when it rains or humid?

Vizionary 07-01-2008 10:09 AM

It seems to have started getting to this point after riding it in the rain two weeks ago, and now that it's summer and humid or raining all the time, yes...I can't seem to keep it running.

DragonCBR 07-01-2008 10:16 AM

it s a track...and humidity does starnge things...