CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Fuel and oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fuel and oil

I just wanted to say a few things about fuel and oil.

First the fuel;
Octane additives raise the flash point of the gasoline. The higher the compression the higher the octane needed. The CBR1000F has a compression low enough to use standard fuel.

Also, I don't rev my bike high all the time. I tend to baby it for tire and engine wear. I want it to last a long time because there are no replacements for it out there. I shift around 4.500-5,000 RPM in normal riding. When passing through a town posted at 30 MPH I can go 35 in top gear with little throttle. There is plenty of torque in this engine to operate around 2,000RPM as long as you don't put a lot of strain on it. I kind of coast through town. Most times I do drop down one or two gears to exit towns or if traffic is in front of me.

I just did a 245-mile ride yesterday and checked mi/gal. I am still getting 47 mile per gallon. I get mid to high 30's when revving the gears in the twisties.

One of the mods that the guys I run into with the older bikes is to put the newer sprockets on for higher gearing and fuel economy. They drop their highway RPM for better engine life the tell me.

Second the oil;
A friend of mine that works in a Ducati shop went to an oil seminar. He told me that because the engine shares the oil with the transmission, the gears in the transmission crush the lubricating spheroids in the oil and the lubricating properties of the oil break down fast. With fresh standard engine oil, he was told, only300 mile could be riden before the next oil change. It is important to use only motorcycle oil because it is designed to take the crushing action of the transmission.

I know that motorcycle oil is expensive but I wanted to explain why you need it and why it may help with oil consumption.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Default RE: Fuel and oil

Oil filter info; I go to Advanced auto and they carry the oil filter for 1/3 cost of Honda part.

http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/71/116/

Old 08-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Noe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. It's nice to hear that you look after your old girl

Old 08-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

compression isn't the only factor that would require higher octane. also note that timing to plays an important role, as well as engine tuning, etc.

that's why other bikes, like the f4i, have high compression but only require 87.

as far as oil...based on oil test results from blackstone laboratory, dino oil consistently breaks down around 2800 miles...so if using dino oil, change before that...

Old 08-05-2006, 01:13 PM

I often go by full throttle,, shifting gear@10500rpm..

I use Bel-Ray EXP 20w-50 now and changing oil and filter every year.. i only drive around ~1500miles/year

I used to use Q8 SBK racing oil before but it´s to expensive i think (~$20/liter) so i will try the cheaper Bel-Ray EXP oil (~$11/liter)..

Im running the old girl on shells V-power.. i need every uns of power to keep up with my pals (YZF1000R and FZR1000)

Old 08-05-2006, 02:08 PM

Yes Sir,
The I in F4I stands for fuel injected. That means that there is a computer that is monitoring the knock sensor. The computer advances the timing to the point that the engine starts to knock and then backs it off a bit to maintain optimum power. Lower octane fuel burns quicker. In a higher compression engine timing needs to be retarded more than a lower compression engine to compensate for the faster burn.

Burning high-octane fuel in a lower compression engine may result in a slow burn and loss of power at current timing. I am pointing this out because I know to many people that put high octane fuel in their cars and bikes thinking that they will get more power output by paying more at the pump. In fact they are more likely loosing power with a stock engine.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:41 PM

I know that i can run on 95 octane, but it feels like the bike runs better on V-power..