CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Front tyre (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/front-tyre-158070/)

Rhondasoulsoothinghonda 08-13-2018 05:58 AM

Front tyre

sooo the time as come for me to whack a new tyre on the front of the old girl. I have a budget of $200 aud I’ll be doing a lot of commuting during the week and on the odd weekends getting out in the twisty stuff. I’d like a tyre with a good life span and grip too. Any way everyone reading this give me your advice/opinion on tyres cheer guys

Hawkwind2016 08-13-2018 11:49 AM

Michelin Pilot Road tyres used to be a popular choice for the CBR1000F

Rhondasoulsoothinghonda 08-13-2018 03:17 PM

Excellent

TimBucTwo 08-14-2018 09:24 AM

I had the Metzler Roadtech Z6 a couple of times and liked them. I tried the Sportech once but I would slide in turns because I could never get the tire hot enough to be sticky. I live in an area where it rains and the roads stay a bit damp and cool so a sport tire is out of the question for me.

I then had Shinko 009 Raven's as my last 4 tire choice. They are around $70-front $95 -rear. I had a death shake at exactly 45mph, only if I let go of the bars but could feel some wiggle while holding them.
I replaced front and rear wheel bearings, changed the head bearing to tapered all balls, changed fork oil weight a few times and changed the fork oil height a few times. The head shake stayed the same with each modifications I made. It had to be the tire choice.
I now believe the Shanko's heavy carcass causes the tire to shake from side to side no matter how well you balance it. It may work on a heavier bike but its just not well suited for these bikes so stay clear of them.

Dunlop makes a tire called 'Sportmax Roadsmart III (as in 3)' in my size so last week I had them mounted. $140-front, $169-rear.

Before I headed out to get the tires mounted, I waxed the chain and noticed a headlight bulb out so I replaced both.
After getting the tires mounted I stopped to fuel up. So...waxed chain, new headlamp bulbs, new tires, a full tank and beautiful day = I'm not going home.
I put 303 miles on the new tires and I can tell you the front end is rock solid at any speed again. Even though the tires are new I could take her down to the pegs and she stays on any line you pick. Rock solid tire from what I experienced. They have a harder center for longer life so, it will take a few miles to tell if these tires are the best I have had so for.

The bottom line; The Dunlop's are twice the price of the Shanko but well worth it. The Shanko never gave me a warm feeling when leaned over so I never took them down as far as the Roadtec or the Roadsmart III.

Rhondasoulsoothinghonda 08-14-2018 07:57 PM

Thanks Tim. I might have to look into the Dunlop’s too be great if they are cheaper than the pilots means more fuel in my tank he hehehehe keep me posted on how they go

Rhondasoulsoothinghonda 08-14-2018 08:00 PM

Come to think of it I have Dunlop’s on the old girl atm they just might be the sportmax too

jarvid 08-16-2018 12:30 AM

I have the Dunlop Sportmax too, seems like a good tyre to me.

Rhondasoulsoothinghonda 08-25-2018 08:01 PM

well I went and got a pilot power 5 I think it is $205 fitted and they went over my bike and I was quiet happy with the feed back. All I need is head stem bearing

TimBucTwo 08-27-2018 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rhondasoulsoothinghonda (Post 1317035)
All I need is head stem bearing

Go with AllBallsRacing tapered bearings, it's the only way to go. Use the part search in the upper left area of the page.