CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Front brake upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake upgrades?

Is it just me? Or are the front brakes on my 88 Hurricane a little lacking in stopping power?

Are there any other calipers ( 6 pot or otherwise from a later model ) or upgrades I could fit that wont cost the earth?

My brakes are in full working order .... I just want something a bit better!

Any suggestions are welcome ....

cheers!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not just you Shakey, our old girls are just a bit ..er..weighty. I think the cheapest way is just to get some better, more grippy pads. The downside is that your disks will wear out quicker. Not sure if anything else will go on without much $$ being spent. One of the others will know for sure.

Just don't ride so fast, you maniac that's how I get around it That's my suggestion

Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

SS Brake lines helped me. I know you can upgrade your rotors but I would do the Brake lines first.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

This is the link for the Rotors. Don't click on it if you have a weak heart....

Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 AM

I have EBC HH pads all around. They give a lot more grip when you need it.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:48 PM

Thanks lads ... I'll try the pads first, then the s/s lines! Can't stretch to upgrading the rotors ATM!

Old 09-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Member & can cook minute rice in 58sec

i'v just overhauled my 3pots on my linked brake system, there's a few miles on them now,and GaWd! wish i'd done it earlier. lightest wee pull the the feker wants to put me over the screen.
i think there's been something sticky on it since i got it, such a difference.
and crap £13 quid pads in there.
just racin around trying to get it to lift the rear at the mo lol but i'll prob go over the bars first.

two pipes going in so you'd need some plumbing to get these on yours unless you replace a complete kit of a breaker.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 AM
Banned

Hasn't someone on here put Blackbird forks in there 1000F and are using the 3 pot Nissins that are on the bird ?? I could be wrong there though.....lol..... Anyway I have silver braided HEL lines on the front and back of my 1000F and it smartened her up a lot. I still have to get used to the fact its an 89 model bike and brake technology has changed a lot since that time. Comparing it to the stopping power of tmy Blackbird isnt fair. The brakes on my 1000F arent Brembos by any means but the braided lines helped me a lot to the point where I am happy enough with it. I'd be interested in a front brake update as well but I dont have a lot of money to throw at it.

Last edited by Bordo; 09-07-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Talking about htis, i have the chance to have the forks from cbr1100x and calipers and front wheel really cheap because the guy di put a sidecar on his bike, i was wondering would i have to change the master cylnder and also will the tupe fit in the triple clapm or would i have to buy one, what do you think!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by DragonCBR
Talking about htis, i have the chance to have the forks from cbr1100x and calipers and front wheel really cheap because the guy di put a sidecar on his bike, i was wondering would i have to change the master cylnder and also will the tupe fit in the triple clapm or would i have to buy one, what do you think!
Having owned both bikes I can assure you that the master cylinders are both 1/2" bore and interchangeable as long as you have the relevant lever.

Yes the blackbird front end has been put on to a 1000F.

Here is the write-up

CBR1100XX Blackbird front suspension swap info
I chose the 1100xx forks because the bike is similar in weight/geometry to the hurricane, and the
big 43mm tubes look cool.
If you check the part numbers on the head bearings on the hurricane,you will find that the 1100xx, cbr900rr, vtr1000 are exactly the SAME.
That means the only real differance in the steering stem is the length! Go to your nearest machine shop with the 1100xx lower clamp and the cbr1000, have them grind off the welds, press them both out, press the cbr1000 stem in the 1100xx clamp, then re-weld the bottom.
You will need to cut off the steering stops, install the triple tree with forks and clip-ons, go through the steering range of motion and mark where the need to be relocated to.
Weld then paint.
The 1100xx forks are shorter than the cbr1000, and you need to install the clip-ons below the top triple in order to allow for the 4.7" of suspension travel required. I just spent a little time with a dremel tool and removed material from both the clip-on as well as the bottom edge of the top triple where there was interference.
If you do it carefully when installed, the pieces lock together.
The shorter forks really improved the handling; it turns in faster, and is not scary in its actions at all.
The forks fit through the bodywork and radiators well, requiring NO relocation at all, its tight, but no contact.
The controls were another story. I am no electrician so thanks to jem for his help. For the right
hand electrical controls it was easy. Just remove the brown wire from the hurricane harness and install it in the 1100xx clip. The left controls were a lot harder, requiring soldering, running of a new wire, and completely re-populating of the large and small header. (The small header on the XX is 3 wires in a row and the 1000 is 3 in an a V shape, or visa versa, I kinda forgot).
I dont remember the exact wiring order, I will have to look it up and repost later.
The mechanical controls i.e. clutch, brake, throttle, were pretty simple also due to Honda reusing parts. You will need to keep the hurricanes throttle cables, but you can use the XX's brake and clutch master calendars. If you look up the rebuild kits for these two bikes. You guessed it the same.
If you use a 99 or newer XX for the donor bike you will need to order a choke lever from the 97-98 bike, once again, Honda used the same size choke cable mount, so it threads right on. Even the 99+ has the threaded hole, they just dont use it.

Quick Reply: Front brake upgrades?