CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

front brake rotors: need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles w/ Bugs
I got my left front caliper off the rotor as it was dragging, (rotor was getting hot) and I removed the pads and gently squeezed the brakes to expose the pistons. They are a little grimy and not retracting, I put a wood vise one the pistons (fits well) and they don't want to retract. I'm gonna go and clean them more thoroughly, but any thoughts on this? I noticed that the pads are wearing at an angle too. I guess I better mic the rotor while I'm at it. I hate it when she's down.

Good afternnon, might as well change the piston seals as well, it does not take long and the and they work so much better.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:11 PM

DragonCBR, were the levers you put on that caused this problem those fancy aluminum ones with the holes drilled through them? My brake problems started the day before I changed levers.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Wow! That was fast Dragon. Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'll order the seals before opening up the system. Glad to have you and your experiences so handy, thanks again.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Yes they sent me the wrong one, it wa salways pushing a bit on the master cyclinder piston, once i found out waht happened i was able to shape the lever correctly and be able to ride, but i sent an email to the company telling them what haapened,problem with internet is they changed the lecer for the correct one ( they had made a mistake) but i cannot visit them to have them pay for the damages done to the machine.

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 PM

Ordered new OEM seals and a few OEM bolts and nuts. I'll be riding the MT bike to work for a while. Noticed fork seal is starting to leak. Domino effect, should have never replaced that clutch lever.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Every screw, bolt and plug on this brake system is stuck! I don't have an air compressor either. I am having trouble every step of the way. I have given up trying to remove the caliper from the brake line as it is obviously just going to round off the knuckles on the fastener. But no problem right? I'll just gently pump up the system until the pistons fall out into my hand. Wrong. But I think I found part of the problem. Where the new brake lever contacts the piston at the master cylinder, there is this little boot, and it has a little tear and I think I can hear it sucking air when I release the lever. I think it's time for complete brake overhaul. I'm also thinking about loading it up to the mechanic.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:55 PM

I haven't given up yet. There is a corrosion problem. Grimy buildup of brake fluid boogers inside the reservoir and pits in the metal outside. I've ordered a master cylinder kit and I still need to order the seals for the right caliper. I know I wont be happy until I know that everything in this system is sano. I also have huge trust issues with mechanics, unless I can work beside them. I'm just bummed that I wont be able to ride for a few more weeks. Any more advice or hints will be much appreciated.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still need to order the seals for the right caliper.

Order the left seals too.
Do them both or the older one WILL start to leak