CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

front brake rotors: need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

Guys i received the seals , took me one hour to get the piston out as they were jammed, no one changed these , i am the first one to do maintenance on them from what isee, i celeaned the calipers, piston etc... i will verify the bore of the clipers ans pistone and will see if they are still fit for service. I guess this was 50% of my problem.

Well more work for me but i prefer doing this than having bigger problems.

Will keep you posted.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:44 PM

good afternoon, well the caliper seals di not help for sure but i found the problem...the brake lever, i bought news one on ebay and the way they are made were nos exactly as for the original one, the brake one was pushing a bit on the master cyclinder piston thus creating a pressure ont pad causin all the oopla, this the last place you look for this kind of trouble.

Guess what i am calling the dealer and ordering new levers tomorow or if chris respond to me first we will see

Thanks for the help guys and ideas it was appreciated.

Man did i look for this one.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess what i am calling the dealer and ordering new levers tomorow or if chris respond to me first we will see
Check out Flebay, might save you a few bucks.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
Check out Flebay, might save you a few bucks.
Indy

That is where I got them first, and caused part of the trouble. Anyway I emailed the company saying their lever were our of specs and that it caused me to drop the motorcycle because by always puting pressure on the pads, the brake fkuid boils thus jamming my calipers as if i was pulling on the lever with both hands. And on top of it I injured the saem wrist as in October, my season might be over before it started.

I cleaned evrtyhing, I adapted the lever ( by the way you don't see it by eye that it was out of spec) so guys be careful if you buy levers on ebay. I would not want to loose one of you.

I know it is fat chance that the company will be contacting or agree with me but nervertheless , it is worth a try.

Cheers

( by the way I am not complaining, it is part of the game just stating facts), this is why I am not keen on buying brake rotors on Ebay now.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:19 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

So is the front wheel running free now, with no binding at all Dragon?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:24 AM

Yes Hawkwind,

Just the normal drag that you need on your brakes, i had a friend whom is a mechanic help me bleed the brakes and he agreed with me.But the right disk has a bit of warp ( probably done when it overheated because of the brake lever problem), I will do a shakedown later this week whne it is not as cold and decide if I need to replace the disk or not.

Last edited by DragonCBR; 03-29-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by robbiebgraham
Yep got them on my 87 been on for over six months and they are great. No issues with them.
Wow , I just purchased these on ebay that is an amazing price for a set of 3 rotors. any recommendation on pads?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:18 AM

I bought the the Metalgear pads off these guys in NZ and again a good price and very happy with them.http://www.bits4bikes.co.nz/parts/honda/1791.aspx

Last edited by robbiebgraham; 05-01-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 AM

EBC HH pads for me.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:02 PM

I got my left front caliper off the rotor as it was dragging, (rotor was getting hot) and I removed the pads and gently squeezed the brakes to expose the pistons. They are a little grimy and not retracting, I put a wood vise one the pistons (fits well) and they don't want to retract. I'm gonna go and clean them more thoroughly, but any thoughts on this? I noticed that the pads are wearing at an angle too. I guess I better mic the rotor while I'm at it. I hate it when she's down.

Quick Reply: front brake rotors: need your advice