CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Frame Sliders for under $ 60.00

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Sliders for under $ 60.00

I have seen a few times where the question has been asked. Are there any frame sliders, available for the CBR 1000F ? Now I do believe that they would save most of us a considerable bit of money on replacement of fairing panels, Which they are becoming harder and harder to find in used for, and it would also help soften the blow from just a tip over in the garage. Me and my nephew Drew, while rebuilding my bike from mine and swt poets crash, honestly more Drew's talent and my brainstorming than anything else.Wewant to come up with a solid method that could be used to mount a set of frame sliders without the use of a welder or Other machine shop type equipment. So here's what we come up with using some good grade steel flat stock, which can be picked up at a variety of places. These two pieces happen to come out of my brother laws scrap pile out behind his shop. But I'm sure they can be picked up at any service center. Just about anywhere. The next component you would need is a actual frame slider that would work on the CBR 1000 after a little bit of conversation back and forth with S&D Supply-N-Demand who runs a eBay store selling frame sliders. They actually manufacture them. It was determined that the 954 RR frame slider would probably be the best to work with it is a Shogun style Aluminum sliders with Delrin caps Each slider (with cap) measures 5-1/2" long, and 1-3/4" in diameter. Yes these are the extra long length model they stand out about 2 in past the bumper cover and fairing. That normally list for 30 bucks, but I picked them up for a less than that from S&D

First manufactured a set of steel brace bars that runs from the upper motor mount bolt over to the upper fairing and headlight frame bracket mounting bolts on the frame, the exact measurements for the steel brace bar is 20 mm long by 3 mm wide. The upper fairing frame bracket hole needs to be drilled. Large enough for 8 mm bolt to pass through that supports the upper fairing frame bracket -- it should be drilled 3 mm from the end of the bar. The lower hole in the steel brace bar should be drilled large enough for a 10 mm bolt to pass through of course this is the motor mount bolt hole The distance from center of hole to hole should be exactly 16 mm center to center. Now, you will need to drill a third hole to mount the frame slider themselves to the steel brace bar the hole should be 10 mm in diameter the hole needs to be drilled 7 mm center to center from the 8mm bolt hole that was drill for the upper fairing frame bracket at this point. I suggest you paint the bars a gloss black and allow to dry. While you run to the local hardware store and picked up one 10 mm bolt 2 inches long with a washer and nut and you will need one 10 mm bolt 2 half inches long with a washer and two nuts. You also need to pick up two 8mm washers.

Now it's just a simple matter of putting them together and mounting them

[font="times new roman"][size=2]OK for the frame sliders themselves. As I said earlier, I am using the extra long 954 rr frame slider. Which one of the slider has a longer shoulder on it, but still not enough to compensate for the offset on the left side of CBR 1000F. So therefore, we had to come up with a way to correct this problem, which I wi

Old 10-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Default RE: Frame Sliders for under $ 60.00

Dude, that really looks fantastic.

but...

Here are my concerns for bikes using framesliders that are not disigned for the bike. Frame sliders are really to protect the frame not the panels beleive it or not. Also because a frame slider changes the point at which the bike contacts the ground there is a risk of the the bike pivoting about that point like a see saw.

Imagine a bike sliding down the road. It is contacting at the tyres and the bumps on the cbr frame. Now add a frame slider that is too long and too low and it may dig in and all of a sudden it is contacting the ground on the frame slider and the fuel tank. Which depending on where you are is more expensive to fix and has the risk of fire.

Also I have personally seen a frame slider dig in to the ground and send the bike into a cartwheel where without the slider it would have just been road rash on the fairing.

I have thought of making a slider, but what I ave considered doing to replacing the current built in one with a machined aluminium piece the sticks out a little further similar to the ST1300's. These types of sliders have smooth curves and more metal contacting the ground which reduces the change of it digging in and cartwheeling.

Also if frame sliders are made too solid that can twist the frame!

Old 10-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Friend and Hero ...

Trips I will certainly not disagree with you and the ST frames sliders sounds like a hell of a good ideal why haven't you done something about it, would love to see a post on that one. Now just to let you know, when these frame sliders was ordered didn't realize that they were going to extend 2 inches out father than the bumper covers. But I have most certainly seen frame sliders on late-model bikes. The same length or more and as far as the placement goes. They are located as close to the original first impact point Honda had engineered. The bumper cover and I greatly appreciate your input

Old 10-06-2007, 05:32 AM

Because to be honest machining a metal version of the standard CBR1000F protection would cost me too much $$$

Although ti would be kewl to make a frame slider out of titanium so at least when it goes down the road it makes pretty sparks.

With my style of riding I am most likely to crash at high speed on roads that are very narrow and an oggy wont help you against a tree.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:15 AM

But you could spite the tree by having your spark spewing titaniumslider shower it with fire!!!

Old 10-07-2007, 02:36 AM

Looks good !
I was wondering about doing slidersmyself...this gives moore ideas of how dealing with it.
I would love to have them when riding on the track cause the insurance dont cover trackdriving.
Nice that you posted this with pictures.