CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Forks (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/forks-79606/)

MarkR 10-03-2008 12:45 AM

Forks

I went on a ride for some other bikes yesterday.

I swap bilkes with a mate, my first time on a BlackBird, his first on a CBR1000.
The Blackbird was great, but my bike dosn't feel so shabbie any more.

I have found that the CBR1000 handling a bit off, and my mate said that my suspension is very soft.
Think I need to redo the fork oil, I have never done it, and I do not know if or when it was done last.

When doest it need to be done?
Should I replace the front springs?
Are the forks hard to get off?
Should I do the forks myself or just take them to the shop?

Thanks

Shadow 10-03-2008 01:07 AM

RE: Forks

I'd get a quote first and see whether it'd be worthwhile to do it yourself.
One way to stiffen up the front is to add 10-15cc extra fork oil to each leg.
There's a how to on fork changes on the forum - I think R1000 did it.
Maybe check his posts - also Tallenuff stiffened his with new springs - may be some tips there for you too.
But wash your bike, first !:D:D

CBRclassic 10-03-2008 01:21 AM

Mark ..what air pressure do you run in the folks ?
The springs mate ?? I have never had to change springs out on any bike that I have owned..
Oli and air will set the feel more so than the springs mate ... you do not want to ride around with rock hard springing ..!!!

The oil if it has not been done for yonks , could be changed and perhaps a slightly heavier oil could be put back to make the ride a touch firmer..

I would up the air to around the 10-20 psi trying a few different pressures as you go..
.never!! go over 40 psi...

Check your air with a push bike pump and small air gauge ..never a service station one as the pressure is way to much for the seals..

Check to make sure your rear springing is set up on the high end of the adjustment as well....

give these things a tinkering with before you get radical ,swapping out the folks and changing springs mate..

MarkR 10-03-2008 01:23 AM

I did, I thought I had black painted wheels, but they're chrome.
I was also thinking about getting one of the new see-though screens for my fairing.

CBRclassic 10-03-2008 01:24 AM

STUPID SERVER DOUBLED UP ON THAT POST Mark ..HMMM???

MarkR 10-03-2008 01:38 AM

Thanks CBRclassic
I don't think I can adjust my air pressure, I think that was only available only on 87-89 bikes, I think.

Can I change or top-up the oil with the forks still on the bike?

CBRclassic 10-03-2008 01:50 AM

Drain and refill while in the bike Mark

Little hex drain screw is near the bottom of the legs (outside) and all you should have to do is loosen the top clamps to get the caps off.. to refill ..
Take ALL the weight off the front end before removing caps for re filling !!!

Topping up the oil is not a good idea because you do not know how much is in their at the moment..

I failed to mention that Drain first with caps on mate.....when draining the oil does come flying out so do it somewhere you wont make a friggin mess!!!

and by the way your caps may be accessible without undoing the clamps if they are set high in the triple tree ?

MarkR 10-03-2008 02:29 AM

No hex bolt but there is a 6mm? bolt above the axel and back a bit - inline the a brake caliperbolt.
I think I have a couple of mm of fork above the tree. :-)

Should there be a saftey pin through the hole at the end of the left side axel?

Can I get comformation pleaseof amount of fork oil (14.1 US oz) I work out 416.98cc, no oil type specified

CBRclassic 10-03-2008 03:29 AM

Mark is the forum loading pages ok for you ..I am getting time out and page errors near every time I change pages ?? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

H + J models /legs/ left 495cc ( 17.4 imp oz ) right 485cc ( 17 imp oz )
K L M N models / both legs / 409cc ( 14.3 imp oz )
P model onwards both legs / 418cc ( 14.7 imp oz )

STD recommended is actually AFT Automatic trans oil ... from the book mate ..
or 10W up to 20W folk oil ...

No to the pin mate :-)
bolts ? ow well your model may be a little different to my 89 ? I have internal hex drive ..

MarkR 10-03-2008 04:22 AM

Page loads are crap, I also copy my post before posting, to save retyping <ctrl-c>

I have a 94' R' (3rd Gen)

Is 10w softer that 20w or is it just temp's