CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

fork seal/oil trouble

Old 05-31-2008, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fork seal/oil trouble

havin problems with the fork seals ,fitted new seal and oil everything seemed ok pushed bike a bit and pop oil everywhere on one leg tapped seal down and seemed fine for a bit then pop oil everywhere, thing i cant understand is oil seal has a gap above it between retaining spring so seal seems to be able to push up ??
does anyone know how much oilshould be in fork legs ? in ml ? as it doesnt tell you in haynes manualthe actual amount of oil to put in ie 400 ml ? thanks lee

Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Default RE: fork seal/oil trouble

Sounnds like alot of oil to me! are they the correct seals,did you measure them against the old ones? and if theyre not genuine Honda seals they will leak anyway . . . . after all you get what you pay for!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having EXACTLY the same problem - the amount of oil is 409ml - I didnt get genuine seals though

Do genuine ones make that much difference ?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just changed my fork oil. I had developed a headshake and noticed the fork oil level was down some and uneven. The shaking went away with the maintenance.

I filled the tubes with springs out to 5 inches (127mm) from the top with fork legs compressed.
I took a piece of tubing and measured 5 inches from the end and marked it with some tape. I over filled the fork tube some and put the tubing in the fork leg with the tape even with the top of the fork tube and sucked the extra oil out. I used a break bleeder suction tool. That gave me the 5 inches on both sides and ensured that they were even.

My front end is now very solid with out shake and does not dive on stopping. The bike is solid in the turns. In a previous thread, dad had suggested 6 7/8â€softer to 4 7/8†stiffer, so I went with 5â€.

Edit: I changed "springs in" to "springs out and fork legs compressed".

Old 06-03-2008, 03:19 PM
jb

there shouldnt be a gap between seal and retainer clip, sounds like seal size wrong, and yeah around 400ml is the correct amount of oil (various models go up and down a few mills but not that important) buy seals from a honda dealer they may be aftermarket aswell but at least they will be thr right size.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:37 PM

I shall answer my own question to help anyone else down the line.

Honda original seals are of a significantly better quality.
You can tell as soon as they come out the pack and when you slide them on you can immeadiatly feel the difference.
I also bought the dvd from http://www.drivenandridden.com/Repla...ork_seals.htmland using the Honda seal along with the dvd tutorialhave FINALLY managed to sort my seal out - just been for a test ride and she is perfect (Same test ride left a pool of fork oil under my bike afterwards using the aftermarket seal)

Happy Days

Old 06-14-2008, 03:39 PM

oh btw first try took me DAYS to do lol

I am down to doing a seal now in an hour

Old 06-14-2008, 05:35 PM

Yup as i said NEVER BUY COPIES! its like buying a copied DVD/clothes you always get what you pay for

Old 06-18-2008, 06:08 AM

Hi,
Mine has had a fork seal issue for ages. I kept getting leaks, replace oil seal, wait a month, next oil seal etc etc. Thought I was going mad, but a mate recommended replacing the sliders (The springy collet things that you smack against each other to force the oild seal out) and try that. What seems to happen is that there is an ultra slight movement at the top of the fork leg when brakes are applied if these are worn, which microscopically breakes the fork seal down. Mine only weeped, not a full blown spray or anything! Anyway for what its worth, if you have to replace another fork seal you may as well do these as well, as the genuine Honda bits are about £15 only. And you have the forks apart anyway......

Ara

Old 06-18-2008, 02:40 PM
jb

you mean bushes, i replaced to and bottom bushes and it still kept leaking, i put it down to pitting in the tube, thats the only thing that can make the seal leak aslong as yr using gen seals and a lot of people overlook incorrect installation, i.e u do the damage when u put the seal in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fork seal/oil trouble