CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Fork Brace?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Ge , I dunno about this flexing forks thing at all? ..... from my experience and I do push my CBR quite hard at times , I don't think I have noticed any level of flex that has bothered me to speak of ...
A+++
I push the bike so hard at times that the weak point is the tire grip. I run with S/T tires and I slide the bike way before the front end starts to wiggle. I personally don't think that by adding more unsprung weight to the front tire will help the bike handle any noticeable amount. When a member was asking about a head damper a while ago, the conclusion was that these bikes are rock solid up front and don't need one.

Yes, I have noticed a little wiggle now and then but it was on rough roads under breaking in the turns. Any bike will do this with or without a brace.

dietDrThunder, How is your fork oil? Maybe it should be changed out with 10 or 15W oil and add a few cc's extra.
With the bike on the center stand, loosen and then re-tighten the lower triple clamp and then do the top.
How are the front wheel bearings?
The worse case is the fork legs are warn out.
The front end should not feel like you have described.

The Telefit link supplied by kilgoretrout shows that part #FS99 will fit all CBR1000F's.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 11-24-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added last statement about Tetefit.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, Coerce doesn't have one for my bike. Bummer. I'm gonna email Telefix today.

Ok, re: the usefulness of a fork brace. Front wheel bearings are brand new (see my trip report from Sept.), steering head bearings are new, the forks have been rebuilt this summer with 1.05 springs and slightly heavier fork oil, etc. There is nothing broken per se.

If you are interested to see how flexi-flier the front end of the bike is, put it on the center stand, stand in front, block the wheel with your foot, and turn the bars. If you're in a decent spot for leverage, you should have no trouble deflecting them several degrees. Is the bike rideable and fun in this state? Of course. I've already spent a day instructing at a track day with the bike in its current state...no problem. Will it be improved vastly with a fork brace? Absolutely.

If you haven't ever done a before and after on a big heavy bike with a relatively spindly front end re: fork brace install, I don't blame you for having these questions. Also, if you haven't spent much time on a more modern bike with a more rigid front end, same deal. Having done both, more than once, I can tell you that the handling of this bike would be transformed with a fork brace.

When I ride the bike through Deal's gap, or on a track at speed, transitions from one side to the other most readily demonstrate this. I can feel my steering input first going into flexing the forks, then turning the wheel and the bike. This delay/wind-up is easily fixable with a brace. Also, front suspension action is much better with a brace (or stiffer forks). When I trail brake with any enthusiasm on this bike, the forks pretty much stop working. I am confident that this is because they're twisted with the turning/braking force, causing 'stiction.' ...also fixed w/ a fork brace.

On a side note, I have rebuilt the linked brakes twice, and while they appear to be in perfect working order, I can't stand them on aggressive twisty road (or track, but the bike wasn't intended for that riding). They have too much rear bias, so as to make trail braking a very touchy endeavor. So, I a probably going to work on un-linking them. I'm considering accomplishing this by fitting an entirely different front end to the bike. One in particular that seems promising to me would be an FZ1 front end. Nice and stiff, fully adjustable/re-valvable, amazing brakes, lighter front wheel...cool looking I like mucking around with surgeries like this, and I love the CBR (except for the brakes and the forks), so it seems like a worthy target...and winter is long. We'll see

Thanks for your input everyone!

Last edited by dietDrThunder; 11-24-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:12 AM

Gee Doc, that's a pretty interesting observation. When I first got the bike I looked for a fork brace because my son's bike has one, and it really feels solid up front (though I never get to ride it), but I couldn't find one that was like his, and maybe none at all except the "universal" type, which seemed pretty cheesy. So as I rode, I moved into the Classic camp, never felt the need (but I'm clearly not the level of rider that might feel the need) and I've never been on any of the new stuff to know the difference. I know Classic rides like a ..... pro.... , so that gives me a little comfort for my putting around. But your description sure gives a guy the itch. And it makes me remember how I first felt about my son's 90F.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
On a side note, I have rebuilt the linked brakes twice, and while they appear to be in perfect working order, I can't stand them on aggressive twisty road (or track, but the bike wasn't intended for that riding). They have too much rear bias, so as to make trail braking a very touchy endeavor. So, I a probably going to work on un-linking them.
If you are going to ride it hard, I vote 100% to de-link it. I was all over the place before de-linking. The bike was actually dangerous the way I was ridding it. The bike stands up under, trying to, trail break (the front tucks up under as it is on also). And then the bike drops way to low when you let off at the apex (front break off and your line changes). This also feels like a wimpy front end as the weight of the bike and rider are pushing the front rather than dragging into the apex.

Still there is no substitute for bigger tubes that the newer sport bikes have.

I am definately interested in the feed back of the fork brace mod but only after de-linking. De-linking will make a HUGE differance.

I can't blame you for the choice of different breaks. Mine are de-linked and work far, far better but, still lack in stopping power.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by JHouse
Gee Doc, that's a pretty interesting observation. When I first got the bike I looked for a fork brace because my son's bike has one, and it really feels solid up front (though I never get to ride it), but I couldn't find one that was like his, and maybe none at all except the "universal" type, which seemed pretty cheesy. So as I rode, I moved into the Classic camp, never felt the need (but I'm clearly not the level of rider that might feel the need) and I've never been on any of the new stuff to know the difference. I know Classic rides like a ..... pro.... , so that gives me a little comfort for my putting around. But your description sure gives a guy the itch. And it makes me remember how I first felt about my son's 90F.
Also, I should have made more clear that I love pretty much everything about the bike...it's not 'broken.' It's just that I believe that a fork brace would be a good improvement is all...and that improvement will come for me in areas of feel and suspension compliance. The bike is more than good enough to go as fast as I'm willing to ride on public roads...faster, really.

Last edited by dietDrThunder; 11-24-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Now that's a good point !!

Not to try and start a riot in this thread , but really guys ...how bloody fast do you have to go to get these 1000F's outta shape to the extent where a brace is going to be of any REAL assistance ??
Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
It's just that I believe that a fork brace would be a good improvement is all...and that improvement will come for me in areas of feel and suspension compliance.
Asked and answered, SIR! (notice I didn't say that the improvement will come in areas of increased speed or decreased lap times or whatever. Suspension compliance whne leaned over and/or braking is a Good Thing, and if I can get it for $150 or whatever, I'm in. That's all I'm trying to get at.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
The Telefit link supplied by kilgoretrout shows that part #FS99 will fit all CBR1000F's.
I had mentioned the part number and year match as a way of saying,"Go for it".

However, de-linking will be sooooooooooooo much more effective up front than a brace. Penny for penny the de-linking is more expansive due to replacing the lines with S.S. ones but will bring far better results than a braced LBS bike.

Have a beer and chill dude. LOL

As Popeye use to say,"I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam".

The dated 1kF is not a modern sport bike with massive inverted forks. It is a sweet lady that has a nauty dark side. She will not wear you out like the younger sporty ones but, can be riden all day and night long. Threat her with respect and you will be rewarded. De-linking her will release her wicked side.

Quick Reply: Fork Brace?